How do I get this latest Update to work? RRS feed

• Question

• I really like LiveMesh functionally, but the update process is horrible.  I have 3 issues with the update process, which I'll outline.

The first is what my question is about.  When this latest update came out, I was traveling.  Thank you very much for making the update required to connect to the mesh from that point on making me dead in the water.  I had to wait until I got back to update my other computer.  BTW, all my computers are WinXP Pro SP2 with all the latest patches installed.

Anyway, my laptop updated fine.  My desktop won't update.  It tells me it requires the update and to click here for the update.  I click here for the update and it spins electrons for a while and then says Live Mesh is up to date.  But it doesn't update.  It stays in that vegetative state of starting up, but doesn't do anything.  Have rebooted twice and downloaded the installable and tried it (great!  It won't let the installable install because I have a previous version on...so nice).

So, how do I get the darn client updated?  Sure would appreciate any guidance.

Other update issues which are common among my computers:

1) When updating and it stops and restarts the task bar, it totally hoses the task bar.  The quick launch icons are jumbled and usually turned off.

2) Because it restarts the task bar (I know, it's really explorer), the system notification tray is missing at least half of the "notifiers".  Painful and requires a reboot to get them back.

3)  Updates don't work some times and there is no clue as to why.  In the past, redoing it usually worked, so I didn't complain.  But now, I'm stuck.

So that's it.  I wish MSFT would design this thing so it had a better updater and didn't require the task bar restart which is so painful.

Anyway, any help would sure be appreciated!

Saturday, November 1, 2008 7:21 PM

Answers

• Thank you for a detailed explanation of the issues you encountered with the update. I will forward your information to our Client team. I will let you know if we need more information.

Thank you for your patience,

Nadia Fortini
    Live Mesh Team
    Nadia Fortini - Live Mesh Team
    • Proposed as answer by Nadia Fortini Saturday, November 1, 2008 11:15 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ben [Live Mesh] Monday, November 3, 2008 5:12 PM
    Saturday, November 1, 2008 11:15 PM

All replies

• So, after several hours of working this problem, I finally was able to get to the latest version.

I tried repairing to no avail.  I finally stopped all non-essential processes on my computer, uninstalled and reinstalled using the latest version.  It finally worked!  Whew!

I hope that someone over there is thinking about the update process and working to make it better.
    Saturday, November 1, 2008 10:59 PM
  • Thank you for a detailed explanation of the issues you encountered with the update. I will forward your information to our Client team. I will let you know if we need more information.

Thank you for your patience,

Nadia Fortini
    Live Mesh Team
    Nadia Fortini - Live Mesh Team
    • Proposed as answer by Nadia Fortini Saturday, November 1, 2008 11:15 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ben [Live Mesh] Monday, November 3, 2008 5:12 PM
    Saturday, November 1, 2008 11:15 PM