Change from Pro XP to Home XP RRS feed

• Question

• I had my computer repaired and they upgraded with a pirated copy of XP Pro. I have a licenced copy of Home XP but it is older and will not re-install from the Dell Reinstallation CD? I no longer live in the country where I purchased the computer from to ask for help from the seller.

How do I run the clean install from the CD?

Thursday, July 20, 2006 1:39 AM

Answers

• Dibbay,

As you learned, you cannot do a repair reinstallation of XP Pro using an XP Home CD.  You have to do a clean installation.  But, sometimes XP Setup can run you in circles trying to get to where you can delete the existing partition with the existing OS on it.

Probably the simplest thing to do is to start the computer with the Dell OS Reinstallation CD in the CD drive and enter the Recovery Console, then use the diskpart command to delete the c: partition (assuming the current installation of the nongenuine XP is on the c: partition), then restart the computer with the OS Reinstallation CD in the CD drive and begin XP Setup normally.

Do not delete any other partitions; Dell normally has one or two small partitions they use for disk diagnostic utilities and such, however, if there are none, the person who did install the nongenuine XP may have already deleted these smaller diagnostic partitions.

If the computer was shipped after mid July 2004, and the smaller partitions discussed above are still present, you may be able to do a destructive recovery of the original installation of software on the computer by using Dell PC Recovery by Symantec.  Just press CTRL + F11 at the Dell startup logo, and if it is installed, you will be presented with its menu system.

For all sorts of instructions, go to http://support.dell.com, enter your Service Tag # in slot 1 and choose Reinstall Guide in slot 2.

Good Luck!

Thursday, July 20, 2006 3:48 AM