Showing Appreciation for Helpful Posts RRS feed

• General discussion

• Although I’ve been Microsoft certified for 11 years, and been in the IT field much longer, I learn something new every day in this forum, and I like to show my appreciation by pressing the “Vote as Helpful” button to express my gratitude to the poster.

However, it seems that showing appreciation for helpful posts is something of a rarity in this forum. I regularly come across great posts (that might already have benefited many of us) without even a single helpful vote, although that thread might already have been viewed hundreds of times.

I don’t know, but I believe it’s common courtesy to say thanks for a post that might have helped you in some way. Voting a post as helpful is not a zero-sum activity. Although it increases the poster’s points, it doesn’t decrease your own accumulation, and the incentive the poster receives might actually motivate them to continue sharing their knowledge with us.

I’ve got that off my chest now, so I’m off my soap box and I’m going back to work. Please feel free to comment if you like.

• Edited by James JT Taylor Friday, August 17, 2012 12:11 PM Edited for clarity.
    Tuesday, August 14, 2012 1:54 AM

All replies

• Regarding my earlier post above, here's a little example to illustrate the point.

I just read this post by Mr. Wharty, Exam Question Types and Scoring. It's currently the 4th sticky from the top, and it's significant because it outlines the question types to expect on our exams, and how those questions will be scored.

So far, that thread has garnered 10,665 page views, but only 9 people have bothered to vote it as helpful. Of the thousands who have likely benefited from this information, is it possible that only 9 people have found it useful?

Friday, August 17, 2012 12:48 PM
  • I'll be honest - i don't think it matters.

Others may have a different view - but my purpose for helping people on this forum and others is to help them, period. It's not to gain accreditation, votes, accolades or trophies. I post my input / answers to help others, and i post my own questions in hopes of gaining some insight or answer to my question - that's what the forum culture is all about IMO. It's free, helpful information.

So as such, i usually don't take the time to vote as helpful or give statistical meaning to other peoples input. I'm sure that's a different viewpoint than others. I'll usually make something as answered and leave it at that.

Saturday, August 18, 2012 6:03 PM
  • As a moderator I read all questions/discussions on this forum and always mark replies as "Helpful" if I feel it was (based on my knowledge of the topic).  I also mark replies as “Helpful” if I am proposing a reply as an answer or marking a reply as an answer to a question.

Although I agree with Terahertz PC in principle, it’s nice to see some recognition for the time and effort put into supporting the community :-)

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Sunday, August 19, 2012 12:16 AM
  • Hi Terahertz and Mr. Wharty,

Thanks for your replies. It’s always great to hear from you, and although your positions differ, I can still identify with both of your perspectives.

I think it’s nice when someone says thanks for some useful thing they’ve received, no matter how small, especially considering that the poster could simply have kept the knowledge to himself.  

I know we probably shouldn’t care who appreciates what we do, but I believe that gratitude encourages generosity, and generosity is the foundation of our forum. Hence, let’s be nice, and say thanks for a helpful post.

Sunday, August 19, 2012 1:32 AM