Live.com & AdCenter Bug - You're (we're) losing clicks! RRS feed

• Question

• I haven't tried this with IE 7 yet, but I will later and update this post...

Right now I am using IE 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519CO with XP SP2 and found something disturbing about the ads on Live.com.  If I click on anything besides the Blue underlined link I get an error that the object doesn't support this property or method and I do not go to the destination URL of the Ad.  I wonder, are we being charged for these clicks which don't go anywhere?  Here are the replication steps.

1) using XP SP2 and IE 6 navigate to live.com

2) enter in a search, in my screenshot I used the word snack (ok so I have food on the brain...)

3) Click anywhere on an ad where your cursor changes from the arrow to the hyperlink hand EXCEPT the Blue Underlined words.  So this would mean you are clicking on the black text or the green display URL.

RESULT - You don't navigate anywhere and the IE error alert shows up in the lower left corner.  I have a screen shot showing the detail of this error on my site here: http://www.venzandsons.com/live_adcenter_error_06132007.jpg

4) Now Click on any of the Blue Underlined ad titles. RESULT - you navigate to that page fine.

This seems like a pretty big deal to me, and I will open an issue through AdCenter as well, but wanted to make sure I was waving any red flag I could.

Thanks,

Smile dave.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 9:52 PM

Answers

• Hello Carolyn,

I also emailed my support rep and within a few hours this issue was resolved.  I am not sure what was causing it but I tried it on several of my test PC's and on two different networks to be sure it wasn't some fluke only I was seeing.  Every PC I tried it on had the bug, so I think it was the real deal.  I am glad it was resolved quickly what ever it was.

Thanks,

Smile dave

Monday, June 18, 2007 12:16 AM

All replies

• Update on this using FireFox 2.0.0.3 & XP SP2

FireFox doesn't toss any error, when you click on any part of the ad (which is displaying the hyperlink hover hand) EXCEPT the Blue Underlined Title you don't go anywhere.  So to a user it would appear as if the links are all broken.  One thing that is different about the organic results verses the ad results displaying - The organic results do not have the hyperlink hand appear anywhere on them except for the Blue Underlined Title  Only the ads seem to have this phenomenon happening to them.

Thanks,

Smile dave

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 10:11 PM
  • I tested this with XP SP2 and IE 7.0.5730.11 and it does the same thing.

If you go to live.com put in a search, then hover over any part of the ad except for the Blue Underlined Title You can see the icon change from a pointer to a hyperlink hover hand, but nothing changes in the status bar until you try to click on the ad then you get the error.

Now if you reload the page and hover over the ad again, but don't click this time, just hover until you hover over the Blue Underlined Title , then you will see a change in the IE status bar.  This is the only time the click actually seems to work.

Thanks,
    Smile dave

Thursday, June 14, 2007 1:27 AM
  • I haven't heard anything on this issue yet, is anyone looking at it?
    Thursday, June 14, 2007 4:57 PM
  • Hi Dave,

I can't repro this, so I'll check with the Support team and see if they can repro and/or if they've run across this issue.

Thanks!

Carolyn

Friday, June 15, 2007 5:55 PM
  • Hello Carolyn,

I also emailed my support rep and within a few hours this issue was resolved.  I am not sure what was causing it but I tried it on several of my test PC's and on two different networks to be sure it wasn't some fluke only I was seeing.  Every PC I tried it on had the bug, so I think it was the real deal.  I am glad it was resolved quickly what ever it was.

Thanks,

Smile dave

Monday, June 18, 2007 12:16 AM