WHS will not recognise 2nd internal HD RRS feed

• Question

• Many months back I converted a MCE PC to WHS by replacing the internal HD and installing WHS. It has been OK.

I originally had my WHS setup with a single 250 GB IDE internal drive and a USB external drive. I purchased a 500 GB IDE drive and swapped out the 250 GB drive and did a Server Reinstallation (without the 250GB drive used at all). This works OK for the last month.

However on putting the 250 GB IDE drive back (after formatting it on another PC) in as a 2nd internal HD it seems WHS refuses to see it.

If I reinstate the MCE hard drive and boot as an MCE PC then it sees the 250 GB 2nd internal drive and will use it.

What is stopping WHS seeing the 2nd HD ? Ideas?

Sunday, November 25, 2007 6:59 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Master/Slave drive settings? If there was only one drive when installing WHS, it could have been any IDe channel, but adding in a second drive might be the wrong way round?

Colin

Sunday, November 25, 2007 8:39 PM
  • If the drive is properly configured as a slave or master (depending on how it's now connected) you should use a tool like DISKPART to remove the partition (not just format it, remove it entirely) on that old 250 GB drive. It's set as a system/primary partition now, which is likely to cause problems.
    Monday, November 26, 2007 6:39 PM