Could not load file or assembly 'SetupCommon, Version=6.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. RRS feed

• Question

• When trying to connect a newly installed windows 7 client to an existing, working, whs 2011 machine I'm getting the message below:

Server Error in '/Connect' Application.

Could not load file or assembly 'SetupCommon, Version=6.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'SetupCommon, Version=6.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Assembly Load Trace: The following information can be helpful to determine why the assembly 'SetupCommon, Version=6.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' could not be loaded.

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
    To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
    Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
    To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

Stack Trace:

[FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'SetupCommon, Version=6.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.]
       Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Client.Website.Global.Application_BeginRequest(Object sender, EventArgs e) +0
       System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +148
       System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +75

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.237

Someone in the SBS2011 forum is having the same issue and I've had a similar issue with the Remote app after getting some updates pushed to my machine from MS.  I fixed the Remote connection issue by changing its ASP.NET version to 4 and it began working again.  No such luck with the Connect app's settings.  Does anybody know what could be going on here?

Sunday, November 6, 2011 11:38 PM

All replies

• Seriously?  Nobody from microsoft can post some any kind of helpful information?  This error is a result of some kind of update since these built-in sites were not touched by myself.  I've seen this error on SBS sites also and nobody seems to know what causes the issue.

Microsoft - we're paying for this stuff.  Can you help us out?

Friday, November 18, 2011 4:24 AM
  • Hi,
    usually such errors came from installing updates not approved for Windows Home Server by using the desktop (unsupported)  instead of the console for updating (the way to go), in case of mentioned error often updates for .NET Framework. (Although I am not sure, if this is still the case with WHS 2011.)

And if you call for support for the product, support for WHS has to be granted by the OEM who sold it to you, not by Microsoft. (WHS as Operating system is not available as retail package, only as OEM or System builder package, which makes the OEM or the System builder the dedicated supporter for this.)

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, November 18, 2011 3:09 PM
  • Hi Olaf,

First of all, thank you for the reply.  I sincerely appreciate it.  This at least helps me zero in on what happened.  In the case of WHS being an OEM product, what do we do in the case where it's an MSDN copy from my MSDN account?  And is there any place I can go to see what patches are approved for the whs 2011 platform so I can weed out which ones are installed that are not on the list?  I doubt there is but I figured it's worth asking.

Friday, November 18, 2011 4:51 PM
  • Hi Olaf,

First of all, thank you for the reply.  I sincerely appreciate it.  This at least helps me zero in on what happened.  In the case of WHS being an OEM product, what do we do in the case where it's an MSDN copy from my MSDN account?  And is there any place I can go to see what patches are approved for the whs 2011 platform so I can weed out which ones are installed that are not on the list?  I doubt there is but I figured it's worth asking.

The MSDN copy is much like a system builder copy installed by an individual: you support your own server. You can call Microsoft if you have paid support incidents available to you, or if you're willing to pull out your credit card, and you can report issues you encounter on Connect, but you accept the role of "system builder" when you install the product.

As for approved patches: As far as the OS itself is concerned, and assuming you install nothing on your server from the desktop, the only patches that your server will download (automatically if you configure it to do so, or manually through the dashboard) should be "approved". When you go to Microsoft Update and download patches, you may get additional patches offered above and beyond those that you really need. There is no list I can think of that lays out which patches are and are not going to be "approved", however.

If you do install something from the desktop, you're on your own. The additional software could conceivably require patches that will cause issues in other areas.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, November 18, 2011 6:16 PM
  • Might be not the approach you want to hear - but sometimes a restore of the server from backup or a server reinstall might be an easier way of troubleshooting than trying to find the unknown screws, which have been screwed up in your server.

Is there anything in the client log or in the server event log as well pointing to issues (i.e. warnings or informations about DCOM permissions messed up)? This was one of the reasons why old WHS clients on one of my servers did not install. Adjusting the required permissions on the server via the dcom configuration utility allowed me to install the client, for which the password was not accepted before), but only for a short time.

Now I am going to replace that server with a WHS 2011 or a SBS Essentials, not yet sure here.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, November 18, 2011 6:58 PM
  • yup.  That's definitely not what I wanted to hear.  I'll have to dig around and see if I can find anything.  Thanks again for your suggestions and your help.  I appreciate your time.

d

Friday, November 18, 2011 7:46 PM
  • Thanks for clarifying. Looks like I have some digging around to do.  I suspect it has something to do with silverlight or .net 4.
    Friday, November 18, 2011 7:49 PM
  • Has anyone figured out how to fix this error, short of restoring the server from backup?

Would restoring the C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319 and/or C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin instead work?

Also, is it possible to load the WHS connector without using the web page http://WHS_server/connect ?  For example, by executing some .exe file on your PC.
    • Edited by eclaeys Wednesday, October 3, 2012 7:03 AM
    Wednesday, October 3, 2012 5:27 AM