Is it possible to change the Product Key for a WHS install? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Technet subscription due to expire soon and would like to install WHS now and then change the Product Key when the subscription expires as I won’t be renewing it. Is this possible?

The other option is to use the Demo now but I understand that I would need to re-install the O/S later if I go this route but it will at least maintain the data.

I’m fairly confident that I want to use WHS but would still rather use a trial version as I can download it tonight and install over the weekend. Which option will be the easiest to upgrade or will they both require a full re-install?

Any tips on how to re-install and maintain data?

I'll buy an OEM copy once i'm happy that it does what I need? Cheers

• Edited by agharta Friday, July 24, 2009 8:16 PM
    Friday, July 24, 2009 8:14 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the replies. I’ll evaluate WHS and follow the upgrade recommendations that were linked above.

BTW, you can also change the Product Key with Vista in the same way as I outlined above for Windows 7.

• Marked as answer by agharta Saturday, July 25, 2009 2:53 PM
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 2:53 PM

All replies

• The software on Technet is, like most everything on Technet, a full unrestricted version of Windows Home Server. It's not an evaluation version.

But to answer your actual question, no there's no supported way to change the product key for any version of Windows.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, July 24, 2009 9:12 PM
  • The software on Technet is, like most everything on Technet, a full unrestricted version of Windows Home Server. It's not an evaluation version.

I appreciate that it’s the same code as the retail release but as per the Technet T&Cs I would be using it for evaluation purposes only hence the need to change the Product key if and when I decide to use it for general purpose usage.

But to answer your actual question, no there's no supported way to change the product key for any version of Windows.

You can easily change the Product Key for Windows 7 RC1 and possibly Vista as well. Go to Control Panel and System and the option is listed at the bottom of the page.

Is it difficult to re-install WHS and keep all the backup data? Is there a guide to this?

Friday, July 24, 2009 9:50 PM
  • I appreciate that it’s the same code as the retail release but as per the Technet T&Cs I would be using it for evaluation purposes only hence the need to change the Product key if and when I decide to use it for general purpose usage.

You can easily change the Product Key for Windows 7 RC1 and possibly Vista as well. Go to Control Panel and System and the option is listed at the bottom of the page.

Is it difficult to re-install WHS and keep all the backup data? Is there a guide to this?

FAQ:  How do I upgrade from the evaluation/trial to a full copy of WHS?
    Friday, July 24, 2009 11:15 PM
  • Reinstalling is fairly simple if you have a fairly vanilla set of hardware. Kariya has already linked you to a (sketchy) description of the process and the major pitfalls. As for changing the product key on activated software, you can (as you've observed) run the product activation wizard. But changing your product key isn't supported, unless Microsoft is telling you to do it. And it may not have the desired effect; the product keys for TechNet and retail are not, if I recall correctly, interchangeable.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 3:43 AM
  • Thanks for the replies. I’ll evaluate WHS and follow the upgrade recommendations that were linked above.

BTW, you can also change the Product Key with Vista in the same way as I outlined above for Windows 7.

• Marked as answer by agharta Saturday, July 25, 2009 2:53 PM
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 2:53 PM