Dynamic DNS - continue from WHS2011 to Win 10 Pro? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

We've recently updated our server from WHS2011 to Win 10 Pro (different physical hardware also) and there doesn't appear to be a dynamic DNS configurator in Win 10 Pro, like in WHS2011.

In addition, it looks like our xxxxx.homeserver.com domain is registered so when I try to use a free DDNS, it says the domain is taken!

What's the easiest workaround for this? We'd like to just retain our homeserver.com address if possible; but I guess it must be released from MS' Live services so that a 3rd part DDNS service can be used?

Any help is much appreciated!

Sunday, March 10, 2019 7:04 AM

All replies

• I doubt you'd be able to continue using your homeserver domain. I suggest getting one or more Free DDNS services. I have one at ChangeIP.com and NoIP.com. Note: No-IP is annoying because you must manually confirm it monthly. 

Then set up an account at DNSoMatic.com to update all of them at once. Make the updates at DNSoMatic, if you're lucky, by using your router (I have an ASUS RT-AC86U) with built in setting. Otherwise DNS-o-Matic has a list of update clients for various OS. I had used Marc's Updater (https://updater.marc-hoersken.de/) before getting the ASUS router.

Don

Sunday, March 10, 2019 3:45 PM
  •   Nearly all recent home and SB router/gateways manufactured by Netgear, TP-Link, ASUS, Linksys/Cisco, and Belkin provide a free DDNS account on a manufacturer-owned domain (mynetgear.net, homerouter.com, etc...). Usually used for security cams and gaming, they'll work fine as a free nameserver for Win-10.

Microsoft won't release your homeserver.com domain name, but for less than $15 per year, No-IP will register a custom domain (theroddys.net?) with up to five hostnames, CNAME's, and a MX. They have free update client apps for Windows, Linux/Unix, and Mac. I've been using them for a couple of years, and never had an issue.

DynDNS, DuckDNS, and GoDaddy all offer similar services. Or, you could flash your router with OpenWRT, get DDNS and a ton of other useful services as well.

Good Luck!

Wednesday, April 17, 2019 3:53 AM