Files needed for deployment RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi, I wrote a quick app to sync files from PCs to a server share using the MS Sync Framework and now I'm trying to deploy it to a client PC. 

What do I need to do to get the .exe to work on the client PC? 

I would prefer not to visit the client PC and install the entire Framework SDK on it. 

So far, I have tried copying the three .dlls to the same folder as my app on the PC.... won't run.

Then I tried registering the .dlls... won't run.

What am I missing?

Thanks for your help!

Greg

• Moved by Max Wang_1983 Thursday, April 21, 2011 10:05 PM forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Technical Discussion [ReadOnly])
    Friday, June 6, 2008 8:14 PM

Answers

• Hi Greg,

The only supported mechanism for installing the Sync Framework on a machine is using the installer. There are numerous reasons for this including requirements related to servicing the Sync Framework in the case of any future updates.

In the RTM release, we will be providing a distinct redistributable MSI that you can redistribute with your app for installation on client PCs. This "redist" installer will include only those DLLs that need to be on a client PC, and appropriate logic to GAC/register those DLLs, etc..

For now, for testing purposes, I would suggest that you install the Framework SDK on the client PC with the understanding that once the Sync Framework is released you can installed the Sync Framework Redist on the client PC instead of the full SDK.

Hope that helps,

Neil

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 3:55 AM

All replies

• Hi Greg,

The only supported mechanism for installing the Sync Framework on a machine is using the installer. There are numerous reasons for this including requirements related to servicing the Sync Framework in the case of any future updates.

In the RTM release, we will be providing a distinct redistributable MSI that you can redistribute with your app for installation on client PCs. This "redist" installer will include only those DLLs that need to be on a client PC, and appropriate logic to GAC/register those DLLs, etc..

For now, for testing purposes, I would suggest that you install the Framework SDK on the client PC with the understanding that once the Sync Framework is released you can installed the Sync Framework Redist on the client PC instead of the full SDK.

Hope that helps,

Neil

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 3:55 AM
  • Thanks for the info Neil.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 2:10 PM
  • Hi Neil

I have used this framework and we need to deploy this in the production. When RTM release for redistributing Synnchronization dll's is expected to release.

thanks

Ram

Sunday, June 15, 2008 6:57 AM