none
Eliminating Duplicate Music Files on WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running an HP EX490 WHS in a mixed OS environment (Windows 7, Windows Vista and Mac 10.6.2).  The WHS Media Collector has compiled the music files from all three of my PCs, but is duplicating copies of songs if they were originally present on 2 or more of the PCs.  In some cases, I have three duplicates of the same song.  Of course, Itunes does not allow you to delete songs off of the WHS, as it would from a single DT client. 

What WHS utilities exist for deleting multiple versions of the same file?  I don't want to spend days deleting Gigs and Gigs of files.  Cheers.
    Friday, January 8, 2010 9:42 AM

Answers

• A Google search shows that there are plenty of utilities that claim to be able to help you with this sort of problem. None of them are specific to Windows Home Server, but at least some of them will operate on a network share.

I'll note that if you remove the duplicates, the media collector may put them back during the next collection pass...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, January 8, 2010 12:31 PM

All replies

• A Google search shows that there are plenty of utilities that claim to be able to help you with this sort of problem. None of them are specific to Windows Home Server, but at least some of them will operate on a network share.

I'll note that if you remove the duplicates, the media collector may put them back during the next collection pass...
    Friday, January 8, 2010 12:31 PM
  • Before my posting, I used Ixquick and found a number of prospective solutions, but would prefer to use a well known utility.  I am brand spanking new to WHS.  Do you have any recommendations for a particular application?  I was hoping there was a WHS add-on that would integrate into the WHS OS -- does any such thing exist? 
    Friday, January 8, 2010 7:21 PM
  • As I said, there is no solution specifically for Windows Home Server. I don't, as a rule, like to make recommendations as to utilities that someone might include in their own workflow, since I know nothing of your current workflow (other than that you use the media collector), and since I don't need such a tool in my own workflow, but there are literally dozens of these utilities. Probably one that's well-reviewed on one of the major review/download sites would be a good choice. Have you looked on PCWorld or CNet?
    Friday, January 8, 2010 7:29 PM
  •   I was hoping there was a WHS add-on that would integrate into the WHS OS -- does any such thing exist? 
    Of course one exists:
    Dupe Cleaner
    (I can't mark myself as the right answer...and wouldn't if I could)

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -- Thomas Paine
    • Proposed as answer by S_M_E Saturday, January 9, 2010 3:37 AM
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 3:36 AM
  • The files are not always duped 3 times like a regular file server. WHS see's the same file an recognises the dupe and uses pointers to these files. So there is really only a single complete file on the server. WHS keeps file duplication down across users in this way.
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 1:54 AM
  • Ok, but itunes sees the files as separate distinct copies and will play each file as such.  In effect, If I play an album, I hear each song 2 or 3 times (depending on how many copies WHS has made).
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 8:55 PM