Remote Media Streaming Support? RRS feed

• Question

• I've been using Windows 7 Beta and RC since they were released, and one of my favorite features has been the ability to stream music from my desktop to my laptop or netbook over the Internet using linked Live IDs. Does Power Pack 3 enable internet media streaming from a Windows Home Server? I don't currently own a Windows Home Server system, but I am considering building a home server, and this would be a killer feature for me.

edit: I know that you can access shared folders through the web interface, but here I'm specifically referring to media streaming directly to Windows Media Player.
    Friday, July 17, 2009 7:11 PM

Answers

• I know it can be done via Webguide, a 3rd party add-on.  That's how I'm currently streaming my media over the internet.

Based on what I'm reading though Power Pack 3 does not add this feature.

I will chime in on this fellow though and request remote media streaming.  I know it can be done, just need it to be an "official" "poliched" Microsoft feature in my opinion...

• Marked as answer by Mark_Caral Friday, July 17, 2009 8:40 PM
    Friday, July 17, 2009 7:40 PM

All replies

• I know it can be done via Webguide, a 3rd party add-on.  That's how I'm currently streaming my media over the internet.

Based on what I'm reading though Power Pack 3 does not add this feature.

I will chime in on this fellow though and request remote media streaming.  I know it can be done, just need it to be an "official" "poliched" Microsoft feature in my opinion...

• Marked as answer by Mark_Caral Friday, July 17, 2009 8:40 PM
    Friday, July 17, 2009 7:40 PM
  • Home Server is built on top of Server 2003 which does not have the media streaming capabilities you are refering to.
    Grey
    Friday, July 17, 2009 8:32 PM
  • Ok, thanks. I knew it was based on Server 2003, but wasn't sure if they had added it in with this power pack, like they've done with a lot of other features since the release. It looks like they haven't, unfortunately, so I'll go ahead and mark this thread as answered. I'll cross my fingers for Power Pack 4!
    Friday, July 17, 2009 8:38 PM
  • Ok, thanks. I knew it was based on Server 2003, but wasn't sure if they had added it in with this power pack, like they've done with a lot of other features since the release. It looks like they haven't, unfortunately, so I'll go ahead and mark this thread as answered. I'll cross my fingers for Power Pack 4!

I doubt it will ever get added to this version of WHS (you can't simply add that much functionality through a Power Pack on top of a sealed 2003 image).
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 1:07 AM