none
Reply using Smart Phones RRS feed

• Question

• I have a smart phone. Have been periodically trying to use it to reply when I am traveling. I can open the Forums, Read whatever, Select whatever including response. When the Window for replying opens, i just get the busy disk rotating endlessly.

Is this a problem with my smart phone? or are the Forums not set up for Smart Phone use? Is there an App I need to download for use?

Thank you!

Chris Ward

Friday, August 31, 2012 7:37 PM

Answers

All replies

• They used to have poor compatibility with mobile devices. We'll need a new update on the status of mobile device support.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Monday, September 3, 2012 8:13 AM
    Owner
  • We'll need to know your OS and browser.

Is it Windows Phone 7 and IE?

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Thursday, September 13, 2012 11:14 PM
    Owner
  • UPDATE: Submitted a bug request. If you send us more info, that will help.

Thanks!

Thursday, September 13, 2012 11:17 PM
    Owner
  • Ed

For me it is android gingerbread 2.3.4 using the stock browser, probably chrome but not really sure. Wont pop the keyboard.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Friday, September 14, 2012 1:22 AM
  • Samsung Infuse-> SGH-1997

Firmware-> 2.2.1

Kernel-> 2.6.32.9

Build-> Froyo...

What else do you need?

Chris Ward

Friday, September 14, 2012 1:22 PM
  • Any News Yet?

Chris Ward

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 9:15 PM
  • Try click the reply button again before the reply iframe fully loads. Or switch to another browser.

The Android stock browser does not recognize a <body> 's contentEditable attribute for some reason. 

Visual C++ MVP

Friday, September 21, 2012 6:35 PM
  • Another Browser? Which one will work? I don't want to install 20 browsers to find one that works.

It is the responsibility of Forums to be usable by browsers. I don't think you are correct anyway as on other sites I can reply just fine using the current browser.

Clicking again does not work for me. I get an error saying I already have a response open please close it before....

Chris Ward

Monday, September 24, 2012 1:41 PM
  • Monday, September 24, 2012 2:11 PM
  • I cannot see what I am typing

Chris Ward

Monday, September 24, 2012 3:47 PM
  • Testing with Firefox above but when the page opens the text editor it does not display what I am typing. The only way I could get out of the text editor was to hit the settings interface then back button. This displyed in the webpage what I typed then I could hit submit.

This is not even close to a workaround for me. Firefox failed to perform as it should but it was better than the Android.

Do you have another suggestion?

Chris Ward

Monday, September 24, 2012 3:50 PM
  • Not sure, can't reproduce your problem on my android tablet. The post editing experience in FF is amost identical to desktop IE.

Visual C++ MVP

Monday, September 24, 2012 7:31 PM
  • Is the a Microsoft Browser for Android Phones?

Chris Ward

Monday, September 24, 2012 7:44 PM
  • It has always worked without issue on my xoom (android tablet) but not on android phone. There's some difference in the stock browsers on each as, for example, the citrix receiver works no problem on phone but fails on xoom.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Monday, September 24, 2012 8:36 PM
  • given some of the annoying problems with accessing thes (MS) forums from a full (MS) windows computer running the latest (MS) version of Internet Explorer, it will be interesting to see what might be done to support the variety of smart phones out there... Just sayin'

Al Dunbar -- remember to 'mark or propose as answer' or 'vote as helpful' as appropriate.

Monday, September 24, 2012 9:06 PM
  • It is the responsibility of Forums to be usable by browsers. I don't think you are correct anyway as on other sites I can reply just fine using the current browser.

Chris Ward

He's just offering a few potential workarounds that have been successful.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 8:33 PM
    Owner
  • UPDATE: Re-pinged the support team to get a status. Thanks!

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 8:34 PM
    Owner
  • Ed,

Thanks again for checking on this issue.

I realize that Sheng Jiang was suggesting potential workarounds. Although they worked on his Tablet, they did not work for my Android. I voted his post as helpful but I cannot think of it as a solution for the issue at hand.

When I mentioned it was the responsibilty of Forums to be compatible with browsers, that was not a remark against Sheng Jiang. You see, if I build an application I better make sure it works on Windows if I want people to have access to it. The same should hold true for Forums IMHO.

It wouldn't be fair for someone else looking for an answer to the same problem to read all of this only to find they did not really have a solution.

Ed, do you know if Microsoft has a Browser App that can be installed on my Android? To be honest I have always been a Microsoft User since Windows 2. I tried other OS's and Browsers but none have ever felt 'right' except for MS. I didn't even know my Android used Chrome until this issue arose.

Thank you for your understanding.

Chris Ward

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 9:06 PM
  • Ed,

Thanks again for checking on this issue.

I realize that Sheng Jiang was suggesting potential workarounds. Although they worked on his Tablet, they did not work for my Android. I voted his post as helpful but I cannot think of it as a solution for the issue at hand.

When I mentioned it was the responsibilty of Forums to be compatible with browsers, that was not a remark against Sheng Jiang. You see, if I build an application I better make sure it works on Windows if I want people to have access to it. The same should hold true for Forums IMHO.

It wouldn't be fair for someone else looking for an answer to the same problem to read all of this only to find they did not really have a solution.

Ed, do you know if Microsoft has a Browser App that can be installed on my Android? To be honest I have always been a Microsoft User since Windows 2. I tried other OS's and Browsers but none have ever felt 'right' except for MS. I didn't even know my Android used Chrome until this issue arose.

Thank you for your understanding.

Chris Ward

I do not know about the Windows Phoone apps, no. You can ask the community here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone/forum/wp7

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 9:12 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks Ed,

I'll take a look but I doubt the Windows phone forum will help much for Android phones.

Chris Ward

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 4:48 AM
  • UPDATE: Bug 81124 was filed for this issue. No ETA. If you have more repro steps, please post them here, so that we can add more info to the bug.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Thursday, September 27, 2012 11:52 PM
    Owner
  • UPDATE: Bug 81124 was filed for this issue. No ETA. If you have more repro steps, please post them here, so that we can add more info to the bug.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

I notice this bug in the stock Android browser --- just the spinning wait graphic after I hit reply.

On Firefox for Android, I can get the reply box. However, when I type, nothing appears in the TextBox until I hit the back button to close the on-screen keyboard (i.e. I cannot see what I am typing).

Friday, September 28, 2012 2:19 AM
  • You cant use the forums-editor via iOS (any version since 3.1.1 tested) Safari. The editor loads and keeps showing the little circle and nothing happens. Quite often you also cant logon via iOS Safari to this forum. You type in your password and then the logon-page loads again and again in an neverending loop.

thanks, rob

Friday, September 28, 2012 11:29 AM
  • UPDATE: I submitted these two cases to be added to the bug. Thanks for your help!

Friday, September 28, 2012 10:02 PM
    Owner