Problems running the Sync Framework CTP1 Refresh on Vista x64 RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I have installed the Sync Framework CTP1 Refresh on my Vista x64 laptop. I installed CTP1SyncSetup_amd64.exe even though the machine actually holds an Intel 64-bit CPU - the installation said that it was an x64 installation so I think that should work - anyone know that for sure?

I get the following exception when I run the FileSyncProviderSample:

Exception from File System Provider:
    System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80040154): Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {565AEDBF-3108-4405-AF1F-9C2C25925DAE} failed due to the following error: 80040154.

Anyone know what that error means?

Thanks,

Hakon

Thursday, December 13, 2007 9:27 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Unfortunately the file sync provider sample is not currently supported under 64 bit due to the reliance on SQL Server Compact.  If you were to install the 32 bit version on your 64 bit machine, I do expect that this sample should work for you.

Thanks,

Liam

Monday, January 7, 2008 9:13 PM
  • Can you make sure to compile your binary for 32-bit, not for “Any” architecture. You can do this in VS, or after the fact.

Liam

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 7:47 PM

All replies

• Hi Hakon,

We have received your issue in engineering verified the problem and are looking into the issue further.  We will send an update once we have some additional information.

Thanks,

Liam

Friday, December 14, 2007 5:00 PM
  • I am having a similar problem. When this issue is resolved, information in regards to a fix would be appreciated. Thanks.

Monday, January 7, 2008 8:50 PM
  • Hi,

Unfortunately the file sync provider sample is not currently supported under 64 bit due to the reliance on SQL Server Compact.  If you were to install the 32 bit version on your 64 bit machine, I do expect that this sample should work for you.

Thanks,

Liam

Monday, January 7, 2008 9:13 PM
  • I uninstalled the x64 bit versions of the framework, and re-installed the 32 bit versions. However, when I try to run the project, I get this error.

"Microsoft.Synchronization.SyncException was unhandled
      Message="Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {A7B3B4EE-925C-4D6C-B007-A4A6A0B09143} failed due to the following error: 80040154."
      Source="Microsoft.Synchronization"

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 7:39 PM
  • Can you make sure to compile your binary for 32-bit, not for “Any” architecture. You can do this in VS, or after the fact.

Liam

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 7:47 PM
  • Okay, fixed it. Thanks for your help!

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 8:08 PM
  • Just to add to this, I get the same issue with the 64 bit version of Windows 2008 and the 64 bit Sync bits. Also switching to the x86 download and specifying x86 in the target build fixes the issue.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 10:29 PM
  • Hi Liam,

I have the same problem, but I am running the CTP2 and under Windows XP SP2.

Strangely enough, yesterday I installed both the CTP2SyncServicesADO_x86.msi and the CTP2SyncSetup_x86.exe files, and tried the 'SharingAppDemo-Conflicts' demo.

My first problem was that it came with a reference to the 'Microsoft.Synchronization.Data' of the wrong version: 1.0. I changed the reference to the updated dll version to solve this problem. I use VS 2008, and so I also had to do a project conversion, with no major problems.

The weird fact is that it worked relatively well, except for some 'Divide by zero' errors when clicking the 'Make Random Updates' button, and some ID conflicting errors when clicking the 'Make Update-Update Conflict' button, but I was able to perform some tests, which was my main objective.

Today, because I had made some changes to the original samples and had failed to keep a backup copy, I decided to reinstall both the Sync Setup and the Sync Services ADO files.

Now, no matter what I try, including setting the plataform target to 'X86' and the target framework to '.Net Framework 3.5' on the test project, I keep getting the following error:

'Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {A7B3B4EE-925C-4D6C-B007-A4A6A0B09143) failed due to the following error: 80040154'.

It occurs when the synchronization is tried, as shown by the line that is failing in the code:

SyncOperationStatistics syncStats = syncAgent.Synchronize();  

I tried reinstalling both setups and also cleaning the registry between the tries, but to no avail.

I need help to correct this problem to continue testing.

Thanks in advance,

Eduardo Quintana

Sunday, April 13, 2008 2:30 PM
  • I am experiencing the same issue with a install of the Microsoft Synchronization for files Framework. When I run it on a Window 2000 SP 4 box I get the following error when it tries to invoke some of the classes.

Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {565AEDBF-3108-4405-AF1F-9C2C25925DAE} failed due to the following error: 80040154.

I recompiled my deployment package with all of the projects being specified to the Release X86 version and I still get the error.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Yemi Cummings-John

Monday, April 14, 2008 4:38 PM
  • I am encountering a similar problem:

Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {A7B3B4EE-925C-4D6C-B007-A4A6A0B09143} failed due to the following error: 80040154.
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.KnowledgeSyncOrchestrator.DoOneWaySyncHelper(SyncIdFormatGroup sourceIdFormats, SyncIdFormatGroup destinationIdFormats, KnowledgeSyncProviderConfiguration destinationConfiguration, SyncCallbacks DestinationCallbacks, ISyncProvider sourceProxy, ISyncProvider destinationProxy, Int32& changesApplied, Int32& changesFailed)
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.KnowledgeSyncOrchestrator.DoOneWayKnowledgeSync(SyncProvider sourceProvider, SyncProvider destinationProvider, Int32& changesApplied, Int32& changesFailed)
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.KnowledgeSyncOrchestrator.Synchronize()
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.SyncOrchestrator.Synchronize()

This is 32bit Windows XP Service Pack 3. This is not occuring on my development box.

Friday, October 10, 2008 3:41 AM
  • Sorted the above problem by checking the registry. Synchronization.dll was missing - silly me!
    Friday, October 10, 2008 4:02 AM