Choosing where to restore files RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having the same issue with 2.0 as prior, with no solution.

I backed up my old computer HD D:  with 100GB+ data

My new computer's d: is full (it is a tiny restore drive), so I need to restore my old D: files (and structure) to my new E:

Every time I run restore,it tells me my D: is full, so I need to clean it off.

Is there any way to add a simple choice for where to restore to?

Thanks,

-Brent

Thursday, July 12, 2007 1:34 PM

Answers

All replies

• This question was answered with 1.6 in the regular backup folders - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1835299&SiteID=2

The same procedure applies here.

-steve

Friday, July 13, 2007 6:20 PM
  • Have you found a solution. This has been a mind boggler. Everything I have done is wrong. Any help or advise would be helpful.

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 5:55 PM
  • Well, that sure is unfortunate that the answer to this old post is in the forum that has been archived and we can't access it.

Basically, OneCare does not support restoring to alternate drives, as far as I know. So, there are two solutions possible -

1. Do a custom restore and browse your backup set and restore files in subsets to the destination drive and then manually move them to their final destinaton.

2. Go to Administrative Tools, Disk Management and temporarily switch the drive letters of your small D: drive and your large E: drive. As long as D: and E: are not your System drive, you can make D: = T:, for example, and then make E: = D: Once you've restore to D:\ (formerly E:\) switch the drives back to their former drive letter designations.

-steve

Thursday, December 20, 2007 5:50 PM