Data Allocation For Shares RRS feed

• Question

• I've setup a WHS and everything has been working fine. I've since added close to my Data Allocation for the shares and I want to change it. I've currently got 600GB install and 366GB free space.

I don't use the Backup option within the WHS so therefore I don't want it to allocation the space to the backups. Is it possible of changing this without having to add another HDD?

My Server Knowledge is very limited so apologies if this is a simple question...I couldn't find anything about it on the net...
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 3:13 AM

Answers

• tgcowell said:

I've setup a WHS and everything has been working fine. I've since added close to my Data Allocation for the shares and I want to change it. I've currently got 600GB install and 366GB free space.

I don't use the Backup option within the WHS so therefore I don't want it to allocation the space to the backups. Is it possible of changing this without having to add another HDD?

My Server Knowledge is very limited so apologies if this is a simple question...I couldn't find anything about it on the net...

I'm not sure I completely understand your question, but it only uses the space you tell it to use.  In other words, if you never backup a client PC, there will be no space allocated to backups (the entire storage pool will be used for shares).  (And if I misunderstood your question, please ask it again. :)  )
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 3:52 AM
  • Hi,
    if your system size is shown as 20 GByte, I assume your WHS is not up to date - no Power Pack 1 installed (which fixes some serious issues beginnning from potential dataloss to the way, how data will be distributed via multiple drives), no subsequent patches. Before Power Pack 1 each file is copied first to drive D: into the landing zone, and balancing may or may not take care later and move the file out.
    Without the November patch the free space on drive D: is the space, a Vista client sees as available limiting the amount of data you can copy in one step. If you enable folder duplication for such a shared folder, with a two disk solution the free disk space is definitively limited by the smaller data disk and duplication may fail.
    So you should run Windows Update from within the WHS console as soon as possible and as often until you don't get new updates offered any more.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 8:26 AM

All replies

• tgcowell said:

I've setup a WHS and everything has been working fine. I've since added close to my Data Allocation for the shares and I want to change it. I've currently got 600GB install and 366GB free space.

I'm not sure I completely understand your question, but it only uses the space you tell it to use.  In other words, if you never backup a client PC, there will be no space allocated to backups (the entire storage pool will be used for shares).  (And if I misunderstood your question, please ask it again. :)  )
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 3:52 AM
  • I get what your saying, I think my WHS has a bigger problem then. When I look in My Computer is list the 'sys' volume as 20GB - 14.5GB free and the 'Data' Volume 91.7GB - 4.36Free. I have 1 120GB HDD Master and another 500GB HDD Slave installed.

I was trying to copy a video 1.2GB into the 'videos' folder and I got an error message stating the share was full. (Vista HP) When I logged into the WHS it was correct...So I can rule out it being a Vista Fault.

The Home Server Console has picked up both HDD's and claims I have 366GB free...Why is the 'Data' Volume in My Computer only picking up it as 91.7GB?
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 6:47 AM
  • Hi,
    if your system size is shown as 20 GByte, I assume your WHS is not up to date - no Power Pack 1 installed (which fixes some serious issues beginnning from potential dataloss to the way, how data will be distributed via multiple drives), no subsequent patches. Before Power Pack 1 each file is copied first to drive D: into the landing zone, and balancing may or may not take care later and move the file out.
    Without the November patch the free space on drive D: is the space, a Vista client sees as available limiting the amount of data you can copy in one step. If you enable folder duplication for such a shared folder, with a two disk solution the free disk space is definitively limited by the smaller data disk and duplication may fail.
    So you should run Windows Update from within the WHS console as soon as possible and as often until you don't get new updates offered any more.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 8:26 AM