none
Netgear HDX101 Powerline RRS feed

• Question

• I have been attempting to run WHS using a Netgear HDX101 based "Powerline" network.
    To date the results are mixed to poor. In spite of the ideal speed of 200 Mps the system degrades over distance and home wiring quality. In my system when all components are within the proximity of a room or two I have experience proper WHS performance. As distance and connection points increase from server to router performance degrades causing droppped connections, time-outs, and other assorted malfunctions similar to those reported by wireless users

Although my home wiring is fairly recent (last 10 years) the supplied power is spikey and of inconsistent quality. I am hoping that a hard wire network from server to router will rectify the inconstancies.  In any case I will report once the cable is installed - tomorrow.
    GW

Thursday, June 21, 2007 9:09 PM

All replies

•  

I have 3 x HDX101's and the server, which is in the laundry cupboard, is performing great. All 3 x HDX101's in a 1980's house are performing at over 100Mbps up and down.

Laptop in bedroom is accessing server a lot but has only had one disconnection when copying GB's of data from Laptop to multiple shares on WHS while the server was balancing.

Media Center in the lounge doesn't backup but does stream music/videos every now and then.

None of the HDX101's are protected by surge protectors or line filters, All PC's are on APC UPS.

DB

Friday, June 22, 2007 2:31 AM
  • Unfortunatly Powerline can degrade based on the number of wall sockets and switches between devices.

Friday, June 22, 2007 8:20 PM
  • After hard wiring an ethernet cable between the router and home server the system appears to be operating correctly.  Powerline is an interesting solution for those with tight systems with few obsticles in the individual paths such as recepticles, swithces, connections, and spiky power.
    I am still operating with one computer powerlined to the server. It is a short run.

GW
    Saturday, June 23, 2007 5:10 PM
  • I am having odd issues with HDX101 and WHS as well...

I installed WHS last week.  Originally I had my home PC (desktop) connected to the server via 802.11g (I know pre-N is faster, but since 802.11g was built into the mobo, I did not bother to get a third-party wireless adapter).

With wireless, the connection is perfect.  No drop-outs, connector software runs without a hitch.  The only problem is file tranfer speeds.  Even with 100% signal, it took 4 hours to transfer a 9.5GB folder with photos from the server to the PC.  It took 30 minutes to tranfer a 4.5GB DVD image from the PC to the server.  It's freakin' pulling-teeth.

Then I decided to try powerline.  Interestingly, the PC connects to the shares no problem and transfer speeds are slightly better.  However, the connector software goes out.  I keep getting the error that says that this PC is not connected to the server.

I go back to wireless and everything is back to normal.

Powerline still has too many issues... In some homes it will work better than in others.  Breakers, quality/health of wires are influential.  And these are issues that, for the most part, are invisible to owners/renters.  You'll never know if powerline will work until you try it.

No solution is perfect...

Monday, February 11, 2008 2:56 PM