Replacing a failed data drive RRS feed

• Question

• My second (data) drive has failed. The C:\ (320 GB system disk) seems to be OK after checking it with SeaTools connected to my desktop. The WHS will not start with the second drive connected. I had duplication turned on. I have received a replacement (1TB) drive from Seagate. How should I proceed with replacing the data drive and preserve the data that I hope is dupliclated on the working C:\ drive.
    Thanks for any help, Ken.
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 3:08 AM

Answers

• My second (data) drive has failed. The C:\ (320 GB system disk) seems to be OK after checking it with SeaTools connected to my desktop. The WHS will not start with the second drive connected. I had duplication turned on. I have received a replacement (1TB) drive from Seagate. How should I proceed with replacing the data drive and preserve the data that I hope is dupliclated on the working C:\ drive.

You should remove the failed drive through the Console.  Power down the server, disconnect the failed drive, power the server on, then remove the drive through the Console (which should show as missing).  Once you do that, all of the remaining shadows (which are on the D partition, not C by the way) will be promoted to primary shadows.  Wait a few minutes for that to occur, then power down the server again, connect your new drive, power the server on, then add the new drive to the storage pool.  At that point, it should start automatically duplicating all of the shares you had marked for duplication.
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 4:17 AM
  • If you should still missing data you can also read the FAQ How to recover data after server failure, which gives you some informations, where on the failed drive you will find the files.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 12:26 PM

All replies

You should remove the failed drive through the Console.  Power down the server, disconnect the failed drive, power the server on, then remove the drive through the Console (which should show as missing).  Once you do that, all of the remaining shadows (which are on the D partition, not C by the way) will be promoted to primary shadows.  Wait a few minutes for that to occur, then power down the server again, connect your new drive, power the server on, then add the new drive to the storage pool.  At that point, it should start automatically duplicating all of the shares you had marked for duplication.
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 4:17 AM
  • If you should still missing data you can also read the FAQ How to recover data after server failure, which gives you some informations, where on the failed drive you will find the files.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 12:26 PM