Upgrade to Synctoy 2.1 for use with NAS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. I kept running across corrupted files on my NAS, did a bit of research, and read that Synctoy 2.0 was unfriendly to NAS storage. OK - time to upgrade to 2.1. However, everything I'm reading says that I must first run a final sync using 2.0, and then I can upgrade to 2.1 for a first pass. Given that 2.0 could corrupt more files, this seems a bit like playing Russian Roulette to me. Is there an alternate way which avoids having to use 2.0 at all? For example, why can't I delete all the hidden Synctoy data files on the source drive (my NAS), delete *all* files off my target drive, install 2.1, and then run a full sync to re-write them? Or have I missed something?

BTW, I'm using Synctoy to maintain backup of my NAS to a single HD which I then store off-site.

Thanks.
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 2:12 AM

Answers

• Hi - SyncToy 2.1 is the version to use with NAS. As for issues with writing/overwriting files the thread below may help clear up some questions. http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/synctoy/thread/237a18d3-d1a8-4759-8c25-97e33a4a2989/ Thanks Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 7:51 PM

All replies

• Hmmm... too hard a question, or have I confused people? Principally I'm querying whether I really need to run Synctoy 2.0 and do a full sync prior to upgrading to 2.1 *if* I'm going to run a full sync anyway with 2.1 (so it shouldn't need to use any of the 2.0 history - which I assume may be corrupt - and risk corrupting more of my NAS' data).
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 7:04 AM
  • Steer clear of Synctoy 2.1 if you plan on writing to a NAS as the application fails to write or overwrite files to the NAS :(
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 1:28 PM
  • Hi - SyncToy 2.1 is the version to use with NAS. As for issues with writing/overwriting files the thread below may help clear up some questions. http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/synctoy/thread/237a18d3-d1a8-4759-8c25-97e33a4a2989/ Thanks Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 7:51 PM
  • No,no,no,no,no! These fixes do not work for me. Having to xcopy my files :(
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 10:10 AM