Access denied - WMC RRS feed

• Question

• Windows Media Center will now auto-copy recorded TV to my WHS, but when I choose the option to convert the recording to another format, it always fails saying that 'access to myserver/videos/recording name-zune.wmv-temp is...'

The error message is too long, so I can't read anything after 'is'.

Anyone else experiencing this problem?  I've tried changing the path where the converted file is saved, but still getting the error.

Happens every time on ALL recordings.

I'm running Win 7 Build 7100.

Thanks
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 11:01 PM

Answers

• Hi Jonathan,

I think the problem you're experiencing is a known issue with this build of PP3.
    You can try to use a different 'copy to' location for your compressed copies by (for instance) providing a full path like "<your system drive>\Users\Public\Videos". Replace <your system drive> with whatever drive Windows is installed on.

- Theo
    No home server like Home Server
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 5:44 PM

All replies

• Hi Jonathan,

I think the problem you're experiencing is a known issue with this build of PP3.
    You can try to use a different 'copy to' location for your compressed copies by (for instance) providing a full path like "<your system drive>\Users\Public\Videos". Replace <your system drive> with whatever drive Windows is installed on.

- Theo
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 5:44 PM
  • Thanks Theo.

So does that mean that <your system drive> has to be a local drive on the WMC computer?

IE - I can't have the compressed file automatically stored on the WHS?

Thanks again.
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 7:35 PM

• That is correct. That is, that was the only way I got it working.

FYI: see also this report on Connect.

- Theo.
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 8:55 PM
  • I'm also having this issue, but I'm not using compressed copies.  I have TV archiver set up to automatically archive all shows to my WHS, but every attempt it makes results in an "access to path "\\myhomeservername\tv archive\name of show..." denied.  This machin has no problem playing content from that share, and I can manually copy content to that share.  This is on a retail 64 bit Win7 machine.  I enabled tv archiving on another machin (except 32 bit), and it had no problem archiving to the same share.  I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling the connector, and I've tried removing/re-adding the library locations.  I can't figure out why one machine can archive, and the other can't.

Has anyone had any luck with this?
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 4:00 AM
  • FWIW, mine is fixed now.  I can't say for certain what fixed it, as I've been trying different things.  But I THINK the most relevent info is:  the "problem" machine had two small 30GB SSD drives.  Once I added a tuner, I also added a 320GB HD to add recording space and re-write durability, and moved the default recording location to that drive.  I have since realized that the original "Recorded TV" folder on the SSD still existed, so I moved/merged it with the folder on the HD.  After that, the errors changed from "access denied" to "path not found".  This made me suspect that counter to the verbiage of the error, the issue was with the SOURCE path, not the destination.  So I then uninstalled/reinstalled the connector (once again), and it now works.

Hope this helps someone else.

Friday, November 13, 2009 9:23 PM
  • Well, I spoke to soon. They worked for a day or two, but now I'm back to "access denied", without having changed anything.
    Monday, November 16, 2009 2:38 AM