Timestamps are not being updated correctly on Profile activity ! RRS feed

• Question

• I have just noticed that, timestamps are not being updated correctly on Profile activity !

Here's a snip of my profile activity

Naomi's profile activity

Is this a new bug or a temporary glitch ?

Regards, Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here, are my own and posted AS IS.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 9:55 AM

Answers

• Well, timestamps are back on their track now. Not sure what was the issue earlier, Perhaps a backlog on the forum servers as you had mentioned.

Regards, Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here, are my own and posted AS IS.

Thursday, August 15, 2013 1:56 PM

All replies

• Are you saying the timestamps are inaccurate? I can believe Naomi's, depending on her time zone. In your case a moderator (or perhaps more than one) just happened to mark several of your replies as proposed answer and you also replied in 3 threads in a very short period of time. Are you saying this happened over the course of several minutes?

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 2:52 PM
  • It seems to be tracking activities fine for me at the moment, but I've definitely seen this happen in the past. No activities will appear in the stream for hours and then they'll all magically appear within the same minute.

Don't retire TechNet!

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 3:03 PM
  • Yes Mike, I think I have also seen this. The activities seem to get stuck for a time. When this happens, are the timestamps all similar, or do they reflect the actual time?

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 3:24 PM
  • I seem to remember all of the activities being timestamped like in Santosh's screenshot (hours worth of replies, etc showing up as 'less than a minute ago').

It seems like the timestamp being shown is when whatever backend method the forums are using to keep track finally catches up and notices the missing activities. In the end, it wasn't that big of a deal (for me, at least), since all of the activities eventually posted and I fill up my activity stream in at most a few days anyway.

Don't retire TechNet!

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 3:40 PM
  • A problem is when there is a big backlog over several days, as happens sometimes with Wiki or Gallery activity. If it shows up all at once, it can exceed the number that shows up in our profile activities, so we miss activity.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 5:14 PM
  • Are you saying the timestamps are inaccurate?  Are you saying this happened over the course of several minutes?

Thats correct Richard. I replied on different threads and there was at least hours of difference between each replies.

Even now, I see similar trend in Timestamps, here's a latest snip from my profile activity

Another strange thing was, I didn't receive any alert mails for the replies on this thread. 

Regards, Santosh

Thursday, August 15, 2013 1:27 PM
  • Of course, "a day ago" can mean anywhere between 24 and 47 hours ago.

Thursday, August 15, 2013 1:46 PM
  • Well, timestamps are back on their track now. Not sure what was the issue earlier, Perhaps a backlog on the forum servers as you had mentioned.

Regards, Santosh

Thursday, August 15, 2013 1:56 PM
  • These are temporary server issues. It is a known issue.

Thanks!

Ed

Ed Price, SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Friday, August 16, 2013 8:29 AM