Trying to get my Windows XP back RRS feed

• Question

• 100Gb WD internal root C drive crashed on VPR PC. It had an internal Best Buy OEM version of XP Home. Replaced drive and, because I couldn't find product key for OEM version of XP, added a copy of XP with a product key MS says is not valid. Also added several new program files from various CD-ROMs and downloads. Then installed a second, Maxtor 100Gb internal drive ("F"), using Maxtor drive activation CD-ROM.  In doing so, it copied all files from C drive (master jumper setting) to new F drive (slave jumper setting). I just found my original OEM XP product key. Also had the 2-CD-ROMs of "crash recovery" programs for VPR. However, when I make F drive the Master, the crash recovery program won't work, saying it can't run on "Windows NT." (?)  Should I format the new F drive, then either try to run the crash recovery discs on it, again, or should I try to load the full copy of XP I have (with "invalid" key) and this time enter the valid OEM XP product key that I have? I read that OEM XP product key is married to the mother board it came with, and that's fine, because I have the same original product key and mother board, but is every copy of XP married to a product key?  If so, I'm afraid my theory won't work. Also, I keep reading that, in instances like mine, Microsoft is legally bound to work with me, to get my XP going again in my original VPR PC, as long as it has the same mother board, and I have the original product key, both of which are the case.  I very much appreciate any help you may provide.  Russell   KCTexan

Thursday, November 12, 2009 8:56 AM

Answers

• Hello KC Texan,

IMO your best option is to use the VPR supplied recovery discs to do a clean recovery installation of XP Home onto your computer.

Note that most recovery discs are programmed to wipe out the user portion of the primary hard disk drive (normally the C: partition) so make sure you back up and offload any important data from the hard disk that will end up having the C: drive before running the recovery.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, November 12, 2009 7:16 PM
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 4:47 PM

All replies

• Hello KC Texan,

IMO your best option is to use the VPR supplied recovery discs to do a clean recovery installation of XP Home onto your computer.

Note that most recovery discs are programmed to wipe out the user portion of the primary hard disk drive (normally the C: partition) so make sure you back up and offload any important data from the hard disk that will end up having the C: drive before running the recovery.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, November 12, 2009 7:16 PM
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 4:47 PM
  • Hey, Dan. Sorry for the delay. Lots of issues with this and a new HP E9120Y PC.  On the VPR XP PC, I formatted the new Maxtor 100Gb internal hard drive, turned off the PC, changed the Maxtor pin jumper from slave (none) to master (farthest left pins) and changed the master ribbon cable to the Maxtor, then disconnected the drive I was using for master. I did get the title screen for disc 1 of the VPR crash recovery program to appear, but it immediately generated a #91 error message, saying (I think) that, even I had formatted the new Maxtor drive, it still had a Disk Manager program on it, and the crash recovery program could not start until the Disk Manager program was removed.  From the few Google entries I've seen, it seems very complicated to remove the Disk Manager program. I just want to install my original XP... 
    Thanks for more suggestions.
    Russell   KCTexan
    Monday, November 30, 2009 8:23 AM
  • Hello KC Texan,

Most recovery installation discs are programmed to expect the computer's hardware configuration to be exactly as it was shipped from the factory, and can tolerate few if any deviations from this.

My suggestion would be to reconfigure your computer so that it is identical to how it was shipped.
    Monday, November 30, 2009 2:33 PM
  • Dan, I don't see how I could possibly reconfigure my VPR PC to match when it was shipped, since it was the root C drive that crashed and is unusable.  Can Best Buy Geek Squad do that at the store?  I'm afraid to know what they would charge. If I present the original product key from the original XP internally installed (now gone), can't MS provide me with a copy of XP that I could load onto the Maxtor 100Gb internal drive that I got?
    Thanks again,
    Russell
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 6:29 AM
  • Hello KC Texan,

If the VPR recovery program does not like how you formatted the Maxtor, you have to wipe the Maxtor and try again.

IMHO, you would have done better to just put the Maxtor into the VPR as it came out of the box without formatting it.  Usually new bare replacement hard disk drives have no formatting whatsoever on them, so there would have been nothing to trip up the VPR recovery program.  In your case you should download SeaTools for DOS, boot to the SeaTools CD, then run the wiping program in SeaTools to erase the disk and start over with a blank disk.  http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=SeaTools&vgnextoid=720bd20cacdec010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

To answer your question, Microsoft has no responsibility in supplying an operating system to you under these circumstances.  When you buy a computer with the OS preinstalled, it is the responsibility of the manufacturer (VPR Matrix) to supply you with the means to reinstall the OS, and they have done that with their recovery discs and program.

Here is the VPR Matrix support site:  http://www.vprmatrix.com/customer_contact_us.asp
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 2:46 PM