Help! Did not reinstall, existing authentic XP showing as not activated, need new product key RRS feed

• Question

• I really hope that someone can help as I'm tearing my hair out!

My PC was bought from Dell a few years ago and the XP was installed by dell and came with the computer

I've been having problems with my audio drivers that have meant that most of the time over the last few days I can only get windows to load in safe mode

Yesterday windows loaded fine so last night I left my PC on overnight as I need to use it with full functioning today

This morning I got a message saying that my windows was not activated which I was puzzled by as it has been activated for years. 

So I downloaded the windows genuine advantage software and followed the instructions

Then I got a page saying that the maximum number of times that my product can be activate with this product key has been reached and that I need to enter a new product key.

I did try to enter the key number that I have that it came with but I still get the same message

There was a link to follow if you believe that you recived this message in error, but when I click on it the page cannot be found

I have no idea what I am supposed to do now

How can it be that my authentic version of xp will suddenly just stop being activated?

What can I do to get another number?

I would appreciate any help

thanks so much

Thursday, June 11, 2009 7:57 AM

Answers

• Good Morning Louloubelle777,

Thank you for visiting us this morning :-). We are glad to hear support was able to provide you with assistance. Should you run into future WGA problems please come back and see us.

Take care and have a great weekend.

Stephen
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, June 11, 2009 4:32 PM
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 4:32 PM

All replies

• panic over

I just spoke to the most lovely helpful tech support person ever in India, bless her heart, she was able to help me activate windows over the phone

:)
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 10:12 AM
  • Good Morning Louloubelle777,

Thank you for visiting us this morning :-). We are glad to hear support was able to provide you with assistance. Should you run into future WGA problems please come back and see us.

Take care and have a great weekend.

Stephen
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, June 11, 2009 4:32 PM
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 4:32 PM