Visual studio IDE "MSDN forums" window started by the command has copy&paste issues RRS feed

• Question

• When I go to the VS Help/MSDN forums command (as I am doing now) and I want to paste in some text to this message box, when I do so I am asked if it is OK to access the clipboard and I click OK. My text pastes into the window. But after that if I try to work with the text, I often get an error:

Script Error

An error has occurred in the script on this page.

Line   1

Char 246321

Error Invalid argument

Code 0

URL: http://i1.social.s-

msft.com/Forums/RequestReduceContent/5eedcebc4e27531

b2a7dc14796f2779d-85db60 .....-

Do you want to continue running sripts on this page?

Yes No

Whether I click yes or no, as soon as I click in the message area again (where the data was pasted), I can get the error above. Sometimes every character I type gives that error. So I can get one error for every keystroke I enter! Note the text I normally am pasting can be from an open document (code, comments etc.). To try and defeat this nussiance I sometimes paste into a notepad window, add any other text I want to post and then copy&paste from notepad. But I can still get into the same issue as I try to "clean up" the results of the paste operation (which never looks like the text in notepad). Also after painfully cleaning up the text (all the while dealing with a constant barage of those error boxes), when I post, the resultant post looks nothing like what I see in the message box. Random lines are inserted. Other lines have been broken into multiple lines and other issues like that (words are never spit up but lines often are).

R.D. Holland

Friday, June 8, 2012 3:50 PM

Answers

• Hi Ed,

I do not go to IE. Visual Studio has a window that opens in the IDE that browses to the forums. I sign into the forums in that window and use it.

Start VS 2010. Go to the HELP menu and click it. There is a MSDN Forums command. Just click it and the IDE opens a window that has browsing capability and that loads a forums page. I can log into the forums via that window. The window may use the IE explorer control/OCX, but I am just guessing about that. In any case, I do everything from within the IDE.

Perhaps I should just open IE instead of using the command in the IDE as when I tried using IE directly yesterday I did not see the error. But the IDE having a UI to the forums is a nice feature.

R.D. Holland

Friday, June 22, 2012 7:25 PM

All replies

• I don't get that message when I paste text into a forums box. Can anyone else get that clipboard message?

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Thursday, June 21, 2012 1:55 AM
  • Are you in Visual Studio 2010? Help/MSDN Forums. While I am filling out the box, I get the error. Right now I am just responding from my e-mail notification link and am in FireFox. I wonder ...

Nope. No problem at all. I don't get a message telling me my clipboard needs to be accessed and I don't get any errors as I type. Must be Visual Studio and the window they use.

R.D. Holland

Thursday, June 21, 2012 9:40 PM
  • Now from Visual Studio.

BOOL bOrderChanged = _GetSortedLeftToRightChildWindows(

this, listWindows );

POSITION pos = listWindows.GetHeadPosition();

R.D. Holland

Thursday, June 21, 2012 9:43 PM
  • Answer - yes. First dialog asking to let me read the clipboard and warning me the data there can be compromised. After that the error box telling me the script code has generated an exception. I gave up trying to note that in my post as I kept getting the error.

Try opening visual studio c++ project (2010). Select some text from a source file and copy to clipboard. Then change to the reply window for this thread and paste. What happens to you? Once the text appears, try to type more text in the window. Try clicking around the text that was pasted from the source file and typing there.

R.D. Holland

Thursday, June 21, 2012 9:46 PM
  • So you copy while you're inside Visual Studio. And then you go to IE and paste the text in this forum window. And then you get the error?

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Friday, June 22, 2012 12:00 AM
  • Hi Ed,

I do not go to IE. Visual Studio has a window that opens in the IDE that browses to the forums. I sign into the forums in that window and use it.

Start VS 2010. Go to the HELP menu and click it. There is a MSDN Forums command. Just click it and the IDE opens a window that has browsing capability and that loads a forums page. I can log into the forums via that window. The window may use the IE explorer control/OCX, but I am just guessing about that. In any case, I do everything from within the IDE.

Perhaps I should just open IE instead of using the command in the IDE as when I tried using IE directly yesterday I did not see the error. But the IDE having a UI to the forums is a nice feature.

R.D. Holland

Friday, June 22, 2012 7:25 PM