How, When, Where do I get the product key / activation number? RRS feed

• Question

• Almost a year ago to the day I purchased Windows XP Pro online and waited to receive my product activation code.  I received the blue folder containing the 'Not For Resale CD' but never received the product key which was supposed to be sent to me via email.  

I have been putting up with the annoying pop-ups and validation messages for a full year and trying in vain to contact anyone about how or when I would receive my activation code even with all the all the purchase numbers and confirmations for Microsoft.

In desperation I recently purchased the product AGAIN because I needed the OS updates to complete some work urgently and I had given up any hope of anyone from Microsoft ever answering my emails. 

That was 2 days ago and I have received the same purchase confirmation email from service@mircosoft .com but nothing else. 

Does the CD contain the product key/activation number?  If I do a new install with this CD will it be a genuine windows install with the product key already loaded?

..or do I have to wait for an email that may never come????
    • Changed type RickImAPC Wednesday, October 29, 2008 10:42 PM Product Key Question
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 8:53 PM

Answers

• AndrewCampion,

Thank you for visiting the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program forum. Please contact the vendor you purchased your software from, and let them know you have not received an email with the Product Key. The Product Key is among the most important piece of material when you purchase. Hopefully where you purchased the product, they will have a record of your previous purchase too.

If it is Microsoft and the purchase was at the Marketplace, they should have a record or your last purchase from a year ago and you should be able to call support for that initial email to be re-sent to you.

I must add that this question is considered off topic for this forum and outside of my area of expertise.

Rick, MS

Microsoft product support

Where can I get technical support for my product?

For problems with installation, removal, or use of your product, contact the manufacturer. For Windows Vista, go to the Microsoft Help and Support Web site or contact Microsoft Support at www.support.microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by RickImAPC Wednesday, October 29, 2008 10:42 PM
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 10:40 PM

All replies

• HAve you looked at the order confirmation ( the last screen whne you purchase, not on email)
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 10:21 PM
  • AndrewCampion,

Thank you for visiting the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program forum. Please contact the vendor you purchased your software from, and let them know you have not received an email with the Product Key. The Product Key is among the most important piece of material when you purchase. Hopefully where you purchased the product, they will have a record of your previous purchase too.

If it is Microsoft and the purchase was at the Marketplace, they should have a record or your last purchase from a year ago and you should be able to call support for that initial email to be re-sent to you.

I must add that this question is considered off topic for this forum and outside of my area of expertise.

Rick, MS

Microsoft product support

Where can I get technical support for my product?

For problems with installation, removal, or use of your product, contact the manufacturer. For Windows Vista, go to the Microsoft Help and Support Web site or contact Microsoft Support at www.support.microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by RickImAPC Wednesday, October 29, 2008 10:42 PM
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 10:40 PM
  • The software was purchased online from microsoft itself.  I clicked on the symbol at the bottom of the screen that has told me for a year that I could be the victim of pirate software.  The have checked the order status and it says sent.  That's all it ever says, and it's true, I have received the CD.  I am waiting for the product key from service@microsoft.com.

Who do I contact in this case?  It's $60 to call Microsoft to ask for help and I am yet to find an email address that anyone responds to.
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 10:51 PM
  • AndrewCampion,

There should not be a charge to speak with Microsoft's Online Store about your purchase. Let's wait to see first what you get back from service@microsoft.com.

Second, if there is a charge, please post back with the phone number you are using for Microsoft's Online Store - Where you purchased your product for us to investigate further. It will be up to you, to provide the information needed regarding your transaction a year ago and this most recent transaction to the representative. (Do this after you hear back from service@microsoft.com.)

Post back with the above requested information for continued support.

Rick, MS
    Friday, October 31, 2008 2:24 PM