I don't want WGA RRS feed

• Question

• Do I not get a choice?? I got my Laptop from Dell and I see all the problems that WGA have caused for people and I don't want to install it as my computer runs great. However I can't install any other updates unless I install WPG. is there a way I can install XP updates without having to install WPG ??
    Wednesday, May 23, 2007 4:53 PM

Answers

• BC29,

There are two parts to WGA:

WGA Validations:  this program is not required to use Windows XP.  However, this program is required if you want to manually visit the Windows Updates site and manually download Windows Updates, and if you want to download certain "nice to have" programs from the Microsoft Downloads Center such as IE7, Windows Defender, Media Player 11, and so on.  If you decide to not install WGA Validations, you can still keep your computer protected by setting Automatic Updates to get "critical security-related" updates; choose the option to review each update prior to installation.  If the WGA Validations Tool is offered for download or installation, simply refuse the download and/or installation.

WGA Notifications:  this program is not required to use Windows XP, or to manually visit Windows Updates and get updates, or to get "nice-to-have" programs from the Microsoft Downloads Center.  If this program is offered for download or installation, simply refuse the download and/or installation.

Once each of the above programs is installed on your computer, there is no Microsoft-supported method for uninstalling the programs.  If you have one or both installed now and have decided that you do not want the programs, you will have to backup and offload your data, do a clean installation of XP, and then refuse the download and/or installation of these if and when offered.

I hope this answers your question.

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 6:55 PM
  • Description of the Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications application: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/905474

Why use WGA Notifications? http://www.microsoft.com/Genuine/AboutNotifications.aspx?displaylang=en&Page=Why

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 10:15 PM

All replies

• BC29,

There are two parts to WGA:

WGA Validations:  this program is not required to use Windows XP.  However, this program is required if you want to manually visit the Windows Updates site and manually download Windows Updates, and if you want to download certain "nice to have" programs from the Microsoft Downloads Center such as IE7, Windows Defender, Media Player 11, and so on.  If you decide to not install WGA Validations, you can still keep your computer protected by setting Automatic Updates to get "critical security-related" updates; choose the option to review each update prior to installation.  If the WGA Validations Tool is offered for download or installation, simply refuse the download and/or installation.

WGA Notifications:  this program is not required to use Windows XP, or to manually visit Windows Updates and get updates, or to get "nice-to-have" programs from the Microsoft Downloads Center.  If this program is offered for download or installation, simply refuse the download and/or installation.

Once each of the above programs is installed on your computer, there is no Microsoft-supported method for uninstalling the programs.  If you have one or both installed now and have decided that you do not want the programs, you will have to backup and offload your data, do a clean installation of XP, and then refuse the download and/or installation of these if and when offered.

I hope this answers your question.

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 6:55 PM
  • i have wga notifications in my computer installed long time ago. How do i uninstall it?? can u pls help me
    Wednesday, May 23, 2007 10:02 PM
  • Description of the Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications application: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/905474

Why use WGA Notifications? http://www.microsoft.com/Genuine/AboutNotifications.aspx?displaylang=en&Page=Why

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 10:15 PM