Windows XP Pro (N) Activation Loop RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have been trying to install Windows XP Pro (N) in a VmWare environment to test the OS out and see the differences between it an the normal verion.   I get the OS installed and when prompted to login get the activation screen.  I am allowed to activate the product, but am sent back to the login screen and then requested to reactive the OS again.  If I click Yes to activate, I am informed that it is already activated.  If I click NO, I am sent back to the login screen. 

All this is happening with the Administator account.   The XP product was downloaded from MSDN.  Please advise how to stop this loop from happening.

Thursday, June 5, 2008 8:16 PM

Answers

• OS will not let you login with out activation.   If you do not activate it just logs it off without fully loging you in.  Seems strange to say the least and never had this problem with any other product before.

However, I believe there must have been something wrong with the ISO that I was using for the installation.  I redownloaded the ISO and was able to get logged into the OS before the system asked for activation.  

This thread can be closed and deleted.

Friday, June 6, 2008 5:12 PM

All replies

• Why do you need to activate if you're running in a VM test environment? You have 30 days to activate which should be enough time for testing.

Thursday, June 5, 2008 11:45 PM
  • OS will not let you login with out activation.   If you do not activate it just logs it off without fully loging you in.  Seems strange to say the least and never had this problem with any other product before.

However, I believe there must have been something wrong with the ISO that I was using for the installation.  I redownloaded the ISO and was able to get logged into the OS before the system asked for activation.  

This thread can be closed and deleted.

Friday, June 6, 2008 5:12 PM