Server stolen. Tying to access backed up files on my new server. HELP! RRS feed

• Question

• I had my server stolen a few weeks back.  Luckily I had most of the files recently backed up.  Could someone please elaborate on how I can get my new server to recognize these invaluable old backed up files? When I add it to the shared volume, WHS is telling me I need to format the drive.  Thank you!
    Friday, January 28, 2011 4:07 AM

All replies

• Have you tried installing the backup drive on another PC and then copy the files through the network on to an existing drive of the new server?
    Friday, January 28, 2011 7:30 PM
  • When you plug in a drive on to a WHS Server the only option the WHS Console offers is to add the drive to the storage pool and as you say format the disk. How did you back up the files 1st place and are they a set of separate files or one single backup file.

In order to see the files on the server itself the only option is to work on the desktop of the server itself. A number of bought WHS systems do not allow this as there is no screen port but you can  acheive the same effect by running an RDP session on your PC. Only do the following if you are confident with your systems knowledge as you are bypassing the constraints the WHS Console enforces.

The procedure is to run the program that is in windows called MSTSC which open a dialogue asking for the server name or IP address. Once you have entered that and pressed OK you will get a new logon screen which is the server. Log on and you can use My Computer to view the disk.

25 years of loving (and too often hating) everything Microsoft.
    Saturday, January 29, 2011 6:46 AM