Installation issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hey guys I am reformating my <Dell> laptop for the 3rd time because it keeps getting some weird virus that completely crashes the system even with kaspersky running nothing is helping out :S.

So I've ran into some problems this time. My original laptop didn't come with any recovery disc and I contacted dell for it. The informed me that they don't provide it anymore with pc's and the laptop should have a recovery function within but the system is totaly crashed so last time I had to reinstall it from scratch thus removing dellware from my laptop.

The laptop had XP home on it and I decided to use my XP home OEM cd(old cpu), and it worked out; since my oem cd is french It installed everything in french.

Now this time I'm reinstalling with an OEM xp home ENG cd that I borrowed and it says my cd key is invalid, but I'm using the cd-key that is imprinted on the bottom of my laptop so how could it be invalid? I looked carefully to make sure I didn't make any mistakes writting it in, but it still won't accept the cd-key during installation. I decided to skip the cd-key step and install windows anyway. So then the cd keeps going and when it restart my cpu to start installation, i go into a black screen which scans my hard drive and gives me options such as:
    /XML
    /...=on
    /...=off to run through, etc.

I don't remember everything but I basically get stuck into a black screen where I can only enter dos commands which I don't know at all and its on drive A which doesn't exist on my laptop.

So I restart my laptop and run it in safe mode (since its the only way to get into the administrator account without anything crashing) and run kaspersky which was installed just to find nothing my drive that is affecting the laptop :S So im stuck between scanning and finding nothing and installing and not coming onto the screen which lets me delete my partition...

Soo....help!
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 4:20 PM

Answers

• Morning VanHaloTupac,

Thank you for visiting our forum. 

Thank you for visiting us today.  The problem you’re experiencing is mismatched product keys for the Windows XP version you are trying to activate. There are different versions of Windows XP:

·        Home

·        Media Center

·        Professional

The product key located on the Certificate of Authenticity "COA" sticker is version specific. You need the actual product key that came with the Windows XP version you are attempting to activate.  Next there are different COAs for each Windows XP. 

Take care,

Stephen

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Proposed as answer by Stephen Holm Tuesday, June 16, 2009 4:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, July 1, 2009 6:39 PM
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 4:31 PM