Can I adjust Warning Levels? RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to adjust what will and will not turn on a warning?

Specifically, I wish to change my Automatic Update for the operating system (Vista Business) to "Download Updates but let me decide . . . ". The reason for wanting to make this change is that Vista has started the nasty habit of rebooting my computer without notification after it installs an update (which I wasn't even aware was taking place at that moment).

With the One Care warning settings as it, this turns on a warning, which I could easily ignore, BUT . . . this would mean I could have another problem arise and I wouldn't know about it because I was ignoring the fact that the green "1" had turned red.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. 

Friday, August 31, 2007 4:45 PM

Answers

• The only warning you can disable is for backup. If you choose not to use the OneCare backup, you can disable monitoring of Backup during tune-up. All other warnings are not configurable.

Windows Updates can be configured in Automatic Updates to install at a predetermined time instead of immediately, which should solve the unexpected reboots from updates, but it will still reboot as needed when the updates are applied. The default is 3 am daily.

-steve

Saturday, September 1, 2007 2:23 AM

All replies

• The only warning you can disable is for backup. If you choose not to use the OneCare backup, you can disable monitoring of Backup during tune-up. All other warnings are not configurable.

Windows Updates can be configured in Automatic Updates to install at a predetermined time instead of immediately, which should solve the unexpected reboots from updates, but it will still reboot as needed when the updates are applied. The default is 3 am daily.

-steve

Saturday, September 1, 2007 2:23 AM
  • Stephen,

Thank you for your reply. As I suspected, this problem overlaps into two distinctly different departments there at Microsoft, and thus will take more than I am likely to be able to resolve . . . but perhaps you have a little better cross-departmental communications than an outsider such as myself would have <???>.

As an IT professional dealing with residential as well as business clients, I am able to handle the inconvenience and surprise of a (Vista) computer rebooting unexpectedly with absolutely no warning, but this tends to be a little disconcerting to the average user.

Under Windows XP, this wasn't a serious problem as it would remind you from time to time that you need to reboot, and the user was able to do it at a convenient time.However, under Vista, there seems to be certain conditions under which the update process will reboot the system without specific permission or notification.

When I first started getting this comment from my clients, I tended to take it as a user error of some sort, but then I had it happen to me and I was at the computer, was not aware it was doing an automatic update and the system just rebooted.

Now, this part of the problem is not reasonably resolved by telling the client to reset the install time until after hours, as most companies and/or residential users do not leave their systems on 24/7.The best solution, therefore, is to set it to download and notify you of available updates, and this is what I have been advising.

Now your department comes in with a whole new issue. Under One Care, making this modification to the update settings (which Microsoft still lists as a safe method), turns on a warning in One Care about something the user cannot change without creating another potentially more distracting and disruptive problem. The solution my clients are asking for is that I either resolve this conflict or uninstall One Care and replace it with another security package that will not give them inappropriate and confusing warnings.

As an independent IT professional, I make money both ways, so at this point I am a happy camper as it doesn't hurt my immediate cash flow . . . other than the hit on my reputation when I recommend an application that does not work to their satisfaction. HOWEVER, as a perpetual beta tester for One Care, I feel it is my responsibility to inform Microsoft of this seemingly minor problem as they are the ones who will take the immediate hit.

Let me know is you get any response as to what can or might be done in the near future to address this.

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 5:22 PM
  • You're welcome. As a perpetual beta tester, you should file a bug on Connect, detailing exactly what you've stated here. I believe that OneCare's AU monitoring needs improvement, as I've said many times before. In fact, I had a conversation with a member of the OneCare team 2 years ago about this issue.  For the record, the forum moderators don't work for Microsoft, we are volunteer users and testers.

To be honest, I have never encountered Vista rebooting at any time while the PC is in use, even if updates have been applied. I have seen updates installed outside of the designated timeframe and without prompt, but these did not require a reboot. No AU setting or OneCare setting would have prevented these updates - only unplugging the power of connection to the Internet. I understand the fact that many people turn off their PCs - in fact, at my workplace they are regularly leaving love notes for those of us who "waste energy" by leaving anything on - despite the fact that my work PC remains on 24x7 due to automated report processes running overnight on a schedule. In Vista, Microsoft worked hard to improve the sleep and hibernate functions. Perhaps some of your clients may want to set the PC to sleep instead of off and they will then update overnight. The vast majority of updates occur withing a week of the 2nd Tuesday of each month, though there are other times, as you've noted. Put the PC to sleep during the 2nd week of each month and off at other times  and that should minimize updates coming throughout the day.

-steve

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 11:37 PM
  • I am here because of the inability to control the warning pop-ups as I call them.  Swampster just reinforced my initial inclination to switch protection as I find this situation as unbearable as pop-ups.  Just my view.

Thursday, October 16, 2008 2:16 PM