Newby...be gentle...... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I was wondering..as I am very new to all this....would a subdomain have its own sitemap and get indexed seperately to the main domain, or do you do that through the main domain only.  Sorry if this is a dumb question, many of you would of-course know the answer, but would appreciate any feedback.
    Regards Jason
    Jason
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 12:59 PM

Answers

• Hi Jason,

Technically speaking, you can have a sitemap for a subdomain; however, our tool only accepts one sitemap per domain at this time. If you are looking to have multiple sitemaps, I suggest reading up on sitemap index files at sitemaps.org and submitting one of those to our tool.

Cheers!

Brett
    Program Manager, Live Search Webmaster Tools
    • Marked as answer by Brett Yount Monday, February 23, 2009 5:28 PM
    Monday, February 23, 2009 5:27 PM

All replies

• Hi Jason,

Technically speaking, you can have a sitemap for a subdomain; however, our tool only accepts one sitemap per domain at this time. If you are looking to have multiple sitemaps, I suggest reading up on sitemap index files at sitemaps.org and submitting one of those to our tool.

Cheers!

Brett
    Program Manager, Live Search Webmaster Tools
    • Marked as answer by Brett Yount Monday, February 23, 2009 5:28 PM
    Monday, February 23, 2009 5:27 PM
  • Thanks for your response Brett.  I was contemplating setting up a remotely related subdomain to another domain name I have, but it looks like I would be better to have a seperate domain and just link to it so that its properly referenced and indexed in its own right. 
    Thanks again
    Jason
    Jason
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 12:49 PM