none
What exactly does the plain text converter do? RRS feed

• Question

• Today I am testing the Plain text converter.

One point of intrigue and very desirable feature would be for   >  indented quotes to be supported by blockquote in HTML.   To test that I need to have something to quote, so this will be that.

And now that I have discovered the quirk about quadruple spacing equalling double spacing I now expect my "signature" to look better.

Testing

R.A.
    ---

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 5:50 PM

All replies

• > I need to have something to quote, so this will be that.
     WLMail beta doesn't quote text automatically so I had to insert that > manually.   So, is a blockquote tag being generated by the bridge?

---

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 5:55 PM
  • "Robert Aldwinckle on forums"  wrote in message news:0b8d9741-1e8c-4514-b73b-3c391b6f9eed@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I need to have something to quote, so this will be that.

WLMail beta doesn't quote text automatically so I had to insert that > manually.   So, is a blockquote tag being generated by the bridge?

---  No.   No sign of that happening at all.    Also, it looks like I must have miscounted on the number of Enters that I gave between the quoted line and the new text.    (I thought I had done a quadruple space.)    I don't know how many Enters there are between this paragraph and the debug lines in pasted in here before typing.    I can press CursorDown 3x and it goes to the end of the first line of the debug text.   Maybe I need another one? (I'll press Enter to end this which should make a triple space in the composition window or 4 CR's in total.

FromClient after conversion: Re: What exactly does the plain text converter do?:
    <p>&gt; I need to have something to quote, so this will be that.<br />&nbsp;WLMail beta doesn't quote text automatically so I had to insert that &gt; manually.&nbsp;&nbsp; So, is a blockquote tag being generated by the bridge?</p><p>---</p>

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 6:04 PM
  • I need to have something to quote, so this will be that.

---  No.   No sign of that happening at all.    Also, it looks like I must have miscounted on the number of Enters that I gave between the quoted line and the new text.    (I thought I had done a quadruple space.)

As I wrote yesterday I think I am going to have to stay away from Plain Text mode.   Too unpredictable.   Too unreliable.   Blockquote or no Blockquote. Doublespaced lines or hard spaces?   Who knows?   It's a coin flip.

-4-

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 6:23 PM
  • > I need to have something to quote, so this will be that.
     Before completely abandoning  Plain Text  mode I have set   Use Plain Text
    Converter  to  None (in the bridge's AdvancedSettingsDialog).   Then
    presumably the bridge will just be a neutral pass-through relay (in terms of
    the plain text to HTML conversion)  and it will now be a question of
    identifying any quirks the forums have in processing what I can create on
    WLMail using Plain Text mode.   So for example, I appear to have a
    doublespace between my quote and my new material (this paragraph).   Let's
    see how the forums software treats that.   And I will end this with my
    normal signature separator (e.g. the appearance of two blank lines, not the
    attempt at quadruple spacing to get the bridge to do whatever it does to
    give me new lines instead of hard spaces.)
     Testing

R.A.
    ---

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 6:46 PM
  •  
    > I need to have something to quote, so this will be that.
     Before completely abandoning  Plain Text  mode I have set   Use Plain Text
    Converter  to  None (in the bridge's AdvancedSettingsDialog).   Then
    presumably the bridge will just be a neutral pass-through relay (in terms of
    the plain text to HTML conversion)  and it will now be a question of
    identifying any quirks the forums have in processing what I can create on
    WLMail using Plain Text mode.   So for example, I appear to have a
    doublespace between my quote and my new material (this paragraph).   Let's
    see how the forums software treats that.   And I will end this with my
    normal signature separator (e.g. the appearance of two blank lines, not the
    attempt at quadruple spacing to get the bridge to do whatever it does to
    give me new lines instead of hard spaces.)
     Reposting  (forgot to trace.  copy/paste from Sent Items)

R.A.
    ---

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 6:51 PM
  • This doesn't look like the PlainTextConverter is None to me!

CreateReply: ForumId: 1a2615db-531c-45fc-8d65-728859858e29, DiscussionId: 5a166e21-e478-4bdf-886e-b7f74549e5a6, ThreadId: 5a166e21-e478-4bdf-886e-b7f74549e5a6, Content: <div>&nbsp;</div>
    <div>&gt; I need to have something to quote, so this will be that.</div>
    <div>&nbsp;Before completely abandoning&nbsp; Plain Text&nbsp; mode I have set&nbsp;&nbsp; Use Plain Text</div>
    <div>Converter&nbsp; to&nbsp; None (in the bridge's AdvancedSettingsDialog).&nbsp;&nbsp; Then</div>
    <div>presumably the bridge will just be a neutral pass-through relay (in terms of</div>
    <div>the plain text to HTML conversion)&nbsp; and it will now be a question of</div>
    <div>identifying any quirks the forums have in processing what I can create on</div>
    <div>WLMail using Plain Text mode.&nbsp;&nbsp; So for example, I appear to have a</div>
    <div>doublespace between my quote and my new material (this paragraph).&nbsp;&nbsp; Let's</div>
    <div>see how the forums software treats that.&nbsp;&nbsp; And I will end this with my</div>
    <div>normal signature separator (e.g. the appearance of two blank lines, not the</div>
    <div>attempt at quadruple spacing to get the bridge to do whatever it does to</div>
    <div>give me new lines instead of hard spaces.)</div>
    <div>&nbsp;Reposting&nbsp; (forgot to trace.&nbsp; copy/paste from Sent Items)</div>
    <div>&nbsp;</div>
    <div>R.A.</div>
    <div>--- </div>
    <div>&nbsp;</div>
    <div>&nbsp;</div>
    <a name="402cf996-8188-4e79-aa54-6e9d15be9f06_CommunityBridge" title="Microsoft Windows Live Mail 15.3.2804.607 via Community Forums NNTP Server 1.1.39.0" />

I'm going to let someone who really wants to use this thing figure it out.   I think I am more likely to have success with a transparent pass-through relay in HTML mode.   Then, I will only have to learn and master  WLMail's  quirks not the bridge's too.

; ]

Robert
    ---

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 6:57 PM