Report with value as of a certain date RRS feed

• Question

• I think I unfortunately know the answer to this question but just to check.  Is there any way that I can find the actual net worth of investments as of a certain date, such as of 12/31/12?  I need this information to determine my required mandatory distribution for my IRA.  I know I can get a Net Worth-IRA report for that date that shows the quantity of my IRA investments, but the report shows the value based on today's price of the stocks/bonds/funds.  Any way of knowing the actual value on 12/31? 
    Tuesday, February 5, 2013 3:27 AM

Answers

• On Tue, 5 Feb 2013 03:27:14 +0000, bobjbkln wrote:

>I think I unfortunately know the answer to this question but just to check.  Is there any way that I can find the actual net worth of investments as of a certain date, such as of 12/31/12?  I need this information to determine my required mandatory distribution for my IRA.  I know I can get a Net Worth-IRA report for that date that shows the quantity of my IRA investments, but the report shows the value based on today's price of the stocks/bonds/funds.  Any way of knowing the actual value on 12/31? 

If you've downloaded, or manually entered, the investment price (per share or per unit) for that date, that is the value that should be used in either the networth report, or in portfolio manager changing the date in the upper right to 12/31/12.  If those numbers aren't there, you'll need to add them.

Ron
    • Marked as answer by bobjbkln Tuesday, February 5, 2013 8:48 PM
    Tuesday, February 5, 2013 4:20 AM
  • As Ron suggested, look for  the AsOf  date in the upper right the Portfolio Manager display. It is in the same line as SelectView and GroupBy.

Also note that you can Customize the NetWorthOverTime report to include the times, which accounts to consider, and more.
    Tuesday, February 5, 2013 7:01 PM

All replies

• On Tue, 5 Feb 2013 03:27:14 +0000, bobjbkln wrote:

>I think I unfortunately know the answer to this question but just to check.  Is there any way that I can find the actual net worth of investments as of a certain date, such as of 12/31/12?  I need this information to determine my required mandatory distribution for my IRA.  I know I can get a Net Worth-IRA report for that date that shows the quantity of my IRA investments, but the report shows the value based on today's price of the stocks/bonds/funds.  Any way of knowing the actual value on 12/31? 

If you've downloaded, or manually entered, the investment price (per share or per unit) for that date, that is the value that should be used in either the networth report, or in portfolio manager changing the date in the upper right to 12/31/12.  If those numbers aren't there, you'll need to add them.

Ron
    • Marked as answer by bobjbkln Tuesday, February 5, 2013 8:48 PM
    Tuesday, February 5, 2013 4:20 AM
  • As Ron suggested, look for  the AsOf  date in the upper right the Portfolio Manager display. It is in the same line as SelectView and GroupBy.

Also note that you can Customize the NetWorthOverTime report to include the times, which accounts to consider, and more.
    Tuesday, February 5, 2013 7:01 PM
  • Thanks both Ron and Cal.  I guess I missed the obvious.  I download prices manually via hleOfxQuotes and hadn't done a download before 12/31 since 12/27 which explained why the numbers didn't match what I had.   Inserting the correct prices for 12/31 resolved the discrepancy for all practical purposes. 

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 9:08 PM
  • Glad to hear you've got it resolved.  Thanks for the feedback.

Ron

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 10:10 PM
  • Somewhat related: you can use a feature in hleOfxQuotes to download historical prices to back-fill the mising prices.

http://code.google.com/p/hle-ofx-quotes/wiki/Build_20111104_41

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 10:14 PM