Cannot get Network to work after new install on ASUS M4A78-EM mobo RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having a problem getting WHS to work on my new ASUS M4A78-EM system.  Installed twice.  No change.  I also tried to load driver disk from ASUS and WHS told me the disk is NOT supported by this OS.  IE on WHS machine can't get out; systems on network cant find WHS with via connector from other systems on my home network.

I need suggestions.

Thanks,
    - sandbasser
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 2:09 AM

Answers

• I'm having a problem getting WHS to work on my new ASUS M4A78-EM system.  Installed twice.  No change.  I also tried to load driver disk from ASUS and WHS told me the disk is NOT supported by this OS.  IE on WHS machine can't get out; systems on network cant find WHS with via connector from other systems on my home network.

I need suggestions.

Thanks,
    - sandbasser
    Ideally, you want Server 2003 drivers.  If none are available (which is common when using workstation boards), try using XP drivers.  (You might have to go to the website and see if you can find it there or browse the driver CD and see if you can determine which one is the XP NIC and install it manually.)  If that doesn't work either, you'll probably have to add a separate NIC and forget about the on-board one.
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 3:29 AM
  • You can try to run the driver installer for Windows XP in compatibility mode. To do so, right click the setup program for the driver and select Properties. Click on the compatibilty tab, tick the checkbox to run the program in compatibility mode and select Windows XP.
    Confirm the selection and try to run the installation again.
    If this does not work for you, try the drivers directly from the maker of the network chip - I think it is Atheros.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 3:48 PM

All replies

I need suggestions.

Thanks,
    - sandbasser
    Ideally, you want Server 2003 drivers.  If none are available (which is common when using workstation boards), try using XP drivers.  (You might have to go to the website and see if you can find it there or browse the driver CD and see if you can determine which one is the XP NIC and install it manually.)  If that doesn't work either, you'll probably have to add a separate NIC and forget about the on-board one.
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 3:29 AM
  • You can try to run the driver installer for Windows XP in compatibility mode. To do so, right click the setup program for the driver and select Properties. Click on the compatibilty tab, tick the checkbox to run the program in compatibility mode and select Windows XP.
    Confirm the selection and try to run the installation again.
    If this does not work for you, try the drivers directly from the maker of the network chip - I think it is Atheros.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 3:48 PM