Can't restore backup RRS feed

• Question

•  

I just got my laptop back from it's third reformat (I hate Vista).  I did a Live OneCare backup of everything to a network PC.  The files are all there - I checked.  I can't restore those files now.  When I try, Live OneCare says there's nothing there.  I open them and I see tons of bkp zip files, so I know they're there.

Helpppppppp....

jlatour2002(at)msn.com

jalatour(at)telus.net

Thanks,

James

Sunday, October 26, 2008 4:49 PM

Answers

• I think that you may be referring to this thread:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3966627&SiteID=2

In any event, if OneCare sees that backup, but can't restore from it, some have reported that they are able to proceed by configuring backup first. Go through the process to set up a backup plan and save it, pointing to the same location as the one you want to restore from. Select a file type that won't take long to backup. Complete the backup after saving the plan. Now, go back and try the custom restore to restore the older data, Once you are successful, configure and save the backup plan for this PC as desired.

-steve

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 5:49 PM

All replies

• Me either!!!!  I am having the same problem.  How do I restore my files?

Sunday, October 26, 2008 9:31 PM
  • This is a great fix: from this 'Window' do a 'Search'. (Look top right n the white space underneath "Search Microsoft.com forSmile Type the words Backup and Restore and hit 'Go'. The search engine will redirect you to another thread on here with a similar question. Read and follow the answer gven by Stephen Boots. It's fully comprehensive and should work! Good luck to you both.

Monday, October 27, 2008 8:59 PM
  • I think that you may be referring to this thread:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3966627&SiteID=2

In any event, if OneCare sees that backup, but can't restore from it, some have reported that they are able to proceed by configuring backup first. Go through the process to set up a backup plan and save it, pointing to the same location as the one you want to restore from. Select a file type that won't take long to backup. Complete the backup after saving the plan. Now, go back and try the custom restore to restore the older data, Once you are successful, configure and save the backup plan for this PC as desired.

-steve

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 5:49 PM
  • Thanks for the link.  However the instructions are useless.  I have tried this method several times now with no success.  The steps are as follows:

1.Open Windows Live OneCare.
    2.In the main OneCare window, in the Backup and Restore area, click Restore files.
    3.Click Restore files from a local backup.

Step 3 does not exist.  I get Find a location to restore.  And the only thing there is a network location or a dvd/cd.

Help!

Friday, October 31, 2008 1:41 AM
  • Please re-read the last reply. Below the link I've described a solution that others have reported as being successful for them. Make a new backup to the drive before trying to restore the old backup.

Or contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, October 31, 2008 4:52 PM