OneCare, Vista Ultimate and the Internet RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, so I had installed Vista Ultimate a few weeks ago (have since gone back to XP Pro, but want to go back to Vista).  One of the biggest frustrations I had with OC and Vista was that every time I rebooted for an update or installing new software, once Vista came up my internet connection would be dead.

I would have to physically turn off my firewall in OC, disable/enable my internet connection to connect to my router, then re-enable the firewall again.

Anyone else having this issue, or know how to fix it?  I know I had to change my registry just to get Vista to connect to the internet through my router, so figured I would ask around here to see if there's such a simple fix available.

Thanks!

Saturday, November 24, 2007 4:34 PM

Answers

All replies

• I had a similar issue with my wireless secured connection with a Vista computer. Had to modify the registry following the information in Microsoft KB 928233 and that did the trick for me. Found this information in Vista's forum because there were other users experiencing the same thing I was. What I can not tell you is how this will work with OneCare installed, had to uninstall OneCare and deal with Vista only for now.

Knightsky

Saturday, November 24, 2007 5:22 PM
  • Oh yeah, I'm very familiar with that article =)   Wish I'd known about that before I went into the install, would have saved me hours of frustration.  I have a post on the OC boards as well, hoping someone knows why they do this.  But as you said, I may just do the free/online virus stuff for now and skip OC until they fix some more bugs.

Thanks!
    Saturday, November 24, 2007 5:55 PM
  • There have been a few reports on this problem, but I'm not sure that a definitive cause has ever been identified. Please contact support to have this looked at. 

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 1:42 AM