Dynamics CRM 2011 Client for Outlook: Ports and IPs for on-line (on-demand) deployment? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I has a customer who has quite a strict network, and they need to configure the client for Outlook to work with CRM online.

When configuring the CRM client for Outlook, instead of specifying the url of the online deployment, we must select "CRM Online" from the dropdown. My understanding is that selecting this option and authenticating with a Windows Live ID, the client will then talk to a Microsoft discovery service and provide the user with the available organisations that he/she is currently assigned to.

The customer needs to know which ports and IP addresses must be opened for this to work correctly. I understand that only ports 80 and 443 are required. But what are the IP addresses that must be white-listed?

Thanks for the help!

Regards,
    P.

Thursday, July 19, 2012 2:10 PM

Answers

All replies

• you can ping those crm servers to find out IP. for example, ping dev.crm.dynamics.com gives you 64.4.19.106.

However, I doubt MS gurantee that IP does not change. Can you add the dns names to the white list?

Thursday, July 19, 2012 3:34 PM
  • This wouldn't help me. I need the IP of the discovery service servers.
    Thursday, July 19, 2012 3:35 PM
  • the example is for Dicovery service server. That is (probably) the same for any users. The server name for organization will be different including your organization name.
    Thursday, July 19, 2012 3:42 PM
  • What example?

I think you're confusing addresses here. The discovery service of CRM online has nothing to do with the URL of my online CRM deployment (e.g.: https://acmetest.crm4.dynamics.com). I can't specify the URL of an online deployment. Instead I must choose "CRM Online" then provide my Windows Live ID. This will communicate with CRM Online's discovery service which will then return the user with a list of organisations that he/she can use. It is all in my original post.

The URL of the discovery server for CRM online is nowhere to be seen. It is hardcoded in the CRM client.

I understand that Microsoft can't guarantee that the names wouldn't change. I told that to the client already but they don't seem to have a hard time understanding it and they want the IPs. One of their network guys even tried: ping crm online in the command prompt (bless him!).

• Edited by pmdci Thursday, July 19, 2012 3:54 PM
    Thursday, July 19, 2012 3:46 PM
  • dev.crm.dynamics.com gives you 64.4.19.106 in my case. Try ping in your side to see if you get the same IP.

not hardcoded or it is fixed for a given user - http://bingsoft.wordpress.com/2010/10/21/crm-2011-beta-discovery-and-web-service-urls/

• Marked as answer by pmdci Thursday, July 19, 2012 4:06 PM
    Thursday, July 19, 2012 3:52 PM
  • Ah! I see what you mean. the example is an actual server!

When you select "CRM Online", it must reach one URL in particular. This is the URL I mean is hardcoded, since I couldn't find any reference to this URL anywhere. I can't tell if the client would always try the same URL, and if the URL would always point to the same IP address.

For double-checking, I enabled tracing for the CRM Client and went on to add a CRM Online organisation and check the logs. I can confirm that it does point to https://dev.crm.dynamics.com/XRMServices/2011/Discovery.svc

Pinging dev.crm.dynamics.com return the same IP as it did for you (64.4.19.106).

Thanks for the URL! This seems to be exactly what I was looking for! I have the same reservation as you, about the IPs though, since Microsoft wouldn't guarantee that those IP addresses could change. Furthermore, what if the CRM client would talk to either dev.crm... or dev.crm4... (client is in EMEA)? I reckon the client would have to expand its knowledge of networks beyond OSI layer 3 ;)

Thanks again!

P.

Thursday, July 19, 2012 4:06 PM
  • more likely MS will keep the dns name unchanged rather than the IP.

BTW, in your case, your client needs to add at least 2 ips (org and discovery), probably the third one for OData REST endpoint. I bet some calls of the Outlook client is using that.

Happy to be helpful.

Thursday, July 19, 2012 4:11 PM