RDC Taskbar/Background Disappearing RRS feed

• General discussion

• When I connect remotely to my Vista Ultimate desktop from my Vista HomeP laptop, the taskbar and background always disappears (background/taskbar just turn black) except for the start button.  This issue doesn't occur when I connect the opposite way, or to my other laptop which also has Vista HomeP on it. 

The issue doesn't resolve itself after I disconnect.  I have to manually stop and restart explorer.exe for the missing elements to reappear.
    • Edited by Resplendent Thursday, November 13, 2008 12:49 AM
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 12:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Is it just the wallpaper and taskbar that turn black, or does the whole screen go black?  That is, can you still see desktop icons, etc?  Run programs on the remote machine?  Live Mesh Remote Desktop hides the remote wallpaper by design to improve performance (though, of course, it should not stay disabled once you've disconnected, and it's not supposed to hide the taskbar).  We have had reports of customers remote connecting to a machine and seeing nothing but a black screen (and maybe a mouse cursor) that has to do with not being logged into an administrator account on the machine they're connecting from, so I want to make sure that's not the case here (it doesn't sound like it is, but it doesn't hurt to check).

Assuming that you're logged into an admin account on your Vista Home laptop when you initiate the Live Mesh Remote Desktop connection, you seem to have found a bug.  If you wouldn't mind, please collect the Live Mesh logs from both machines (desktop and laptop) and submit a bug.  Instructions for collecting logs and submitting a bug are in an Announcement at the top of the forums.  Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 4:27 PM
  • Yes, I was using an admin account on both PCs.  I've also noticed at times the remote session just stops responding.  I can see but not interact with the remote desktop.  I have sent in both sets of logs.
    • Edited by Resplendent Thursday, November 13, 2008 4:46 PM
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 4:46 PM