locked
Import address entity RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi,

    Im trying to import a number of contact addresses from a csv file. However, for some reason the microsoft crm data import tool is giving an unspecified error. When i try to import with the built in import tool of dynamics, I get the same unspecified error. I have tried referencing to the contact with the GUID and with a unique custom fullname field, in both cases however the error popped up. Even importing with a single line in my csv and only importing a single field (the only required field, street 1) and the parent field, the error occurs. 

    Since importing contacts or accounts has worked fine (also importing the relationships between them), Im quite sure that there isnt an obvious mistake that I am making. It thus seems to me that there is some kind of bug of some sorts related to the Address entity. Has anyone encountered this problem? Or could anyone try to import an address?

    Thanks in advance,

    Ygor


    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 2:05 PM

Answers

  • I always have problems when I try to manually map lookup fields using the import functionality. What I have always has success with is the following....

    1. Correct your headers in the csv file to 'exactly' match those of the entity you are trying to import.
    2. Use the import tool. However, when you select the entity type then you will notice that the mapping turns to automatic.

    run the sucker and you should be good to go. Just imported about 800 contracts into my system this morning ...no problem.

    Cheers,
    AJ

    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 9:25 PM
  • Hi ,

    I have also encountered this problem and the following blog saved me..Have a look into this http://ronaldlemmen.blogspot.com/2007/02/error-while-importing-via-tools-import.html
    Thanks, Aarch
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 5:11 AM

All replies

  • I always have problems when I try to manually map lookup fields using the import functionality. What I have always has success with is the following....

    1. Correct your headers in the csv file to 'exactly' match those of the entity you are trying to import.
    2. Use the import tool. However, when you select the entity type then you will notice that the mapping turns to automatic.

    run the sucker and you should be good to go. Just imported about 800 contracts into my system this morning ...no problem.

    Cheers,
    AJ

    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 9:25 PM
  • Hi
    I've found it easier just to develop a import utility. Seem to have more control over where data is going to. You could also check if there are any lookup field values which are not already in the CRM for an entity and populate them prior to uploading the data.
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 10:05 PM
  • Hi ,

    I have also encountered this problem and the following blog saved me..Have a look into this http://ronaldlemmen.blogspot.com/2007/02/error-while-importing-via-tools-import.html
    Thanks, Aarch
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 5:11 AM