server set up - won't connect ot internet RRS feed

• Question

• I am evaluating the WHS software.  Last night I downloaded the software, burnt the DVD and installed the software.  Everything seemed to work just fine, but I can’t log into the server.  From the server, I can’t connect to my broadband internet, which I think is the problem.

What should I do?  The server is hard connected to my wireless router.  When I plug my laptop into the router, I get internet just fine, but in the server…nothing.  So there is internet going through the Ethernet cable.  I think that I can’t run the connector software to the server if the server has no access to the internet.

So far, from the demos and stuff, this looks like the software for me.  I just want to get things going.  Please help!

Thanks,

Dustin Bowden

Friday, February 5, 2010 1:56 PM

Answers

• Hi Dustin,

Sounds like the driver for your network card is not available in Windows Home Server by default. 

If you go to device manager and check the detected network devices you may see an exclaimation mark indicating that there is a problem with the device.  You should look up your motherboard manufacturer on the internet and download drivers for the network card.  If a Windows 2003 Driver is not available then drivers for Windows XP should do fine.

If you are stuck to try and find it then try posting the Device Instance Id or the Hardware ID (with VEN_ and DEV_ IDs) and we can look up the device for you.

Once you have the drivers downloaded on another machine you will have to install the drivers on Windows Home Server - this can be done with either the installer if available or you will have to right click on the network adapter in device manager and select "Update Driver..." - choose Install from a list or specific location, and then in "Include this location in search" browse to the downloaded files.  Sometimes you need to try a different folder if you have downloaded an archive.

Good Luck,
    Al
    --
    Friday, February 5, 2010 2:53 PM

All replies

• Hi Dustin,

Sounds like the driver for your network card is not available in Windows Home Server by default. 

If you go to device manager and check the detected network devices you may see an exclaimation mark indicating that there is a problem with the device.  You should look up your motherboard manufacturer on the internet and download drivers for the network card.  If a Windows 2003 Driver is not available then drivers for Windows XP should do fine.

If you are stuck to try and find it then try posting the Device Instance Id or the Hardware ID (with VEN_ and DEV_ IDs) and we can look up the device for you.

Once you have the drivers downloaded on another machine you will have to install the drivers on Windows Home Server - this can be done with either the installer if available or you will have to right click on the network adapter in device manager and select "Update Driver..." - choose Install from a list or specific location, and then in "Include this location in search" browse to the downloaded files.  Sometimes you need to try a different folder if you have downloaded an archive.

Good Luck,
    Al
    --
    Friday, February 5, 2010 2:53 PM
  • Thanks Al!  I'll give that a try!  I guess I figured it would just work since it worked when I was running XP on the machine.  I'll re-post updates.

Thanks,

Dustin
    Friday, February 5, 2010 5:36 PM
  • Yep!  That did it!  Now I have to see if I can get the connector software up and running.  But at least the server is connected to my router now.

Thanks again!

Dustin
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 2:44 PM