none
WHS Connector can't connect to Server RRS feed

• Question

• After reading several posts and trying various fixes (including modifying my Hosts file) I am now restoring a prior backup from a few days ago. There is nothing wrong with any DNS stuff as all 6 systems can ping each other using names except bad_client to whserver. I can ping using IP address. For the record the bad_client is 64bit Windows 7 and the whserver is a rock solid Tyan Tank with @ 10TB. The bad_client may have swallowed some new updates of various kinds a day prior to the problem. This included a java update, Firefox update, Avira update to NEW version 9, and possibly more.

I will repeat the upgrades as they naturally occur and this time pay strict attention to the little green icon. If the damage occurs again I will report in detail.

I just want to thank Microsoft once again for providing us with a disaster recovery system which has literally saved my butt at least 5 times since beta testing began.   Now if I can get a 64bit version of WHS I would be oh so ever grateful :)

WF
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 2:45 AM

Answers

• I have now determined  uninstalling Avira will cause the WHS connector damage. This is unacceptable and I will be contacting Avira now.

I have reproduced the problem twice.

WF
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 12:10 PM

All replies

• After reading several posts and trying various fixes (including modifying my Hosts file) I am now restoring a prior backup from a few days ago. There is nothing wrong with any DNS stuff as all 6 systems can ping each other using names except bad_client to whserver. I can ping using IP address. For the record the bad_client is 64bit Windows 7 and the whserver is a rock solid Tyan Tank with @ 10TB. The bad_client may have swallowed some new updates of various kinds a day prior to the problem. This included a java update, Firefox update, Avira update to NEW version 9, and possibly more.

I will repeat the upgrades as they naturally occur and this time pay strict attention to the little green icon. If the damage occurs again I will report in detail.

I just want to thank Microsoft once again for providing us with a disaster recovery system which has literally saved my butt at least 5 times since beta testing began.   Now if I can get a 64bit version of WHS I would be oh so ever grateful :)

WF

According to TechRadar, the next release of WHS (code named Vail) is 64-bit only.  Check the article here for more details.
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 4:31 AM
  • I have now determined  uninstalling Avira will cause the WHS connector damage. This is unacceptable and I will be contacting Avira now.

I have reproduced the problem twice.

WF
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 12:10 PM