MCPD certifcation - i need advice RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am a vb.net 2005 developer.  I've been coding in it for about 3 years.  My company is willing to pay for me to get certified.  I know that the MCPD exams for 2005 have all been retired.  I am pushing to update our environment to 2010, but that may take some time.  I don't want to have to wait to get certfied in something.  With that said, I have 2 questions.

1.  I read that even if you are on or going to .net 2010, exam 70-536 (Microsoft .NET Framework – Application Development Foundation) would still be beneficial to have.  Do you agree with that?  I figure by the time I am done with this, we would be upgraded to 2010.

2  Has anyone done the e-learning courses instead of the classroom training?  I like the idea of e-learning because I can take my time and not have everything crammed into a one week class.

Do you think I am on the right path, or should I go about this a different way?

Thanks!

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 7:01 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Just saw this unanswered question:

1) 70-536 covers some topics so I agree that some knowledge is really helpfull. But I wouldn't do the certification again. Just look if you can get your hands on the book (Self-Paced Training kit) and read it. That is enough to know what the .Net Framework offers. (And the book should be quite cheap - check amazon - they offer used books, too!)

2) The e-learning is quite nice and I tested it a little (had 2 free courses with an MSDN subscription in the past). But I disliked e-elearnings. I stick to the self-paced training kit with a lot of practice! (I really play around with the technology. That takes time but I not just want to get the cetrificate. I really want to learn it!)

With kind regards,

Konrad

• Marked as answer by Mr. Wharty Thursday, February 2, 2012 7:48 AM
    Monday, November 21, 2011 8:31 AM
    Answerer
  • Well I am Irish so my English is only so so :)

From my understanding of the sentence in question is that, I wouldn't do the exam again if I had the choice of doing it or not. What I am taking in what Jeff is doing is just clarifying for people in case they speed read and think you can do an exam again :) If that is not what you meant Jeff, jump in and correct :)

To add to what Konrad has said before...

Everyone's learning patterns are different and people learn at different speeds. My own personal way is to play with the tech and then see what I am supposed to know for the exam. I have discovered parts of the .NET Framework that I have rarely used through studying for an exam. This approach requires the most self discipline because you are not working off prescribed training that some people insist on.

From working with .NET 2.0 the upskill to 4 is not that massive a jump. I have the MCPD on 2.0, 3.5 and 4 for ASP.NET and the changes as I went up through the tracks were not too bad. For someone new to .NET 4 you should look at the changes from 3.5 to 4 which is what will get tested a lot.

Blog: http://www.certsandprogs.com

70-515 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    70-536 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    70-505 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    70-562 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    70-433 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 7:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Just saw this unanswered question:

1) 70-536 covers some topics so I agree that some knowledge is really helpfull. But I wouldn't do the certification again. Just look if you can get your hands on the book (Self-Paced Training kit) and read it. That is enough to know what the .Net Framework offers. (And the book should be quite cheap - check amazon - they offer used books, too!)

2) The e-learning is quite nice and I tested it a little (had 2 free courses with an MSDN subscription in the past). But I disliked e-elearnings. I stick to the self-paced training kit with a lot of practice! (I really play around with the technology. That takes time but I not just want to get the cetrificate. I really want to learn it!)

With kind regards,

Konrad

Monday, November 21, 2011 8:31 AM
    Answerer
  • But I wouldn't do the certification again

You can't sit a certification exam again once you've already passed it.
    Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Please mark answered if I've answered your question and vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 3:44 AM
  • Jeff, I am not a native english speaker but I really hope that it was possible to understand my sentence correctly.

You made me curious now: Does the english language really makes it possible to read in my posting, that it could be possible to retake an passed exam again?

What I tried to say is simply: If I would be in the situation where I had to decide which exam to take first as the person who asked (Which I am not, because I passed multiple exams already), then I would not decide to do the 70-536 again (Again simply means: I did it in the past but if I didn't I would not decide in the same way as I did in the past!).

I am really interested in working on my english skills so maybe you could help me with some explanations what was wrong and what I could have said to not run into such an discussion.

Konrad

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 12:51 PM
    Answerer
  • Well I am Irish so my English is only so so :)

From my understanding of the sentence in question is that, I wouldn't do the exam again if I had the choice of doing it or not. What I am taking in what Jeff is doing is just clarifying for people in case they speed read and think you can do an exam again :) If that is not what you meant Jeff, jump in and correct :)

To add to what Konrad has said before...

Everyone's learning patterns are different and people learn at different speeds. My own personal way is to play with the tech and then see what I am supposed to know for the exam. I have discovered parts of the .NET Framework that I have rarely used through studying for an exam. This approach requires the most self discipline because you are not working off prescribed training that some people insist on.

From working with .NET 2.0 the upskill to 4 is not that massive a jump. I have the MCPD on 2.0, 3.5 and 4 for ASP.NET and the changes as I went up through the tracks were not too bad. For someone new to .NET 4 you should look at the changes from 3.5 to 4 which is what will get tested a lot.

Blog: http://www.certsandprogs.com

70-515 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    70-536 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    70-505 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    70-562 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    70-433 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 7:02 PM
  • Hi Konrad,

Your English if perfect.  I speak English and sometimes not very good at it either :-)

Cheers

Jeff

Jeff Wharton

Please mark answered if I've answered your question and vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 10:10 PM
  • Great inks Niall.  I've used them many times.

Jeff Wharton

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 10:11 PM
  • Thanks Jeff. And sorry - I just didn't get the idea that it could be a clarification for other people like Niall already said.

Got a little confused and feared that my wording was wrong or so.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 10:15 PM
    Answerer