ENTERED PRODUCT KEY FOR WINDOWS LIVE ONE CARE CANNOT ACTIVATE RRS feed

• Question

• I WENT TO WINDOWS LIVE ONLINE TO ENTER MY PRODUCT KEY FOR THE WINDOWS LIVE ONE CARE WHICH I PURCHASED IN A STORE. I ENTERED THE NUMBER AND INFORMATION REQUIRED.  RESTARTED THE COMPUTER, BUT WILL NOT ALLOW ME TO ACTIVATE.   MY SUBSCRIPTION IS DUE TO EXPIRE. PLEASE ADVISE AS TO HOW TO DO THIS.

THANK YOU 

CAROLINE

Friday, February 22, 2008 6:04 PM

Answers

• If OneCare is already installed and activated on your PC with an active subscription, you can renew your subscription with a key. 

Go to http://billing.microsoft.com and sign in with your subscription LiveID. (Open OneCare and click help/about to view the subscription LiveID)

Select the OneCare subscription and click on the renew link.

Choose the option to renew with a prepaid PIN or token which is the retail product key.

Enter the 25 character key and proceed.

It can take up to 24 hours for the subscription status to be updated in OneCare.

If you have uninstalled and reinstalled OneCare and are now trying to activate, please explain what you are encountering when trying to activate. Note that signing in with the same LiveID as your current subscription will not ask you for the key, you need to use the steps above to renew with a key.

-steve

Friday, February 22, 2008 7:27 PM

All replies

• If OneCare is already installed and activated on your PC with an active subscription, you can renew your subscription with a key. 

Go to http://billing.microsoft.com and sign in with your subscription LiveID. (Open OneCare and click help/about to view the subscription LiveID)

Select the OneCare subscription and click on the renew link.

Choose the option to renew with a prepaid PIN or token which is the retail product key.

Enter the 25 character key and proceed.

It can take up to 24 hours for the subscription status to be updated in OneCare.

If you have uninstalled and reinstalled OneCare and are now trying to activate, please explain what you are encountering when trying to activate. Note that signing in with the same LiveID as your current subscription will not ask you for the key, you need to use the steps above to renew with a key.

-steve

Friday, February 22, 2008 7:27 PM
  • The product key provided with my store bought product will not activate when the 25 digit number is entered.  What do I do?
    Saturday, September 13, 2008 6:39 PM
  • I have Windows Live ONE CARE... i have had it for a year, it works perfectly, now i am trying to renew, but everytime i come to use the code that i used originally to activate it, it tells me that the maximum purchases on that code have been reached, while i only used the ONE CARE services on 2 computers...not 3...please help, Service expires in 1 day for me....
    Saturday, September 13, 2008 6:50 PM
  •  B.M.9 wrote:
    I have Windows Live ONE CARE... i have had it for a year, it works perfectly, now i am trying to renew, but everytime i come to use the code that i used originally to activate it, it tells me that the maximum purchases on that code have been reached, while i only used the ONE CARE services on 2 computers...not 3...please help, Service expires in 1 day for me....

First of all, sorry for the really late reply. I'm slowly catching up in the forums after an almost 3 week absence and your message was apparently overlooked by others.

If you have an active subscription, which is what was created when you activated on the first computer, you need to use the same LiveID on the subsequent activations. You can't use the same key twice. If you are arriving at a screen to purchase or provide a token, you are likely not using the same LiveID as the subscription ID.

If you only had it installed on 2 of your allowed 3 PCs, your subscription is still expiring and must be renewed with a new key or online purchase. The 3 PC count is not sequential, but concurrent, meaning that it can be running on up to 3 PCs with the same LiveID for 1 year. The subscription starts when you activate on the first PC.

-steve

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 5:47 PM
  •  scaiken wrote:
    The product key provided with my store bought product will not activate when the 25 digit number is entered.  What do I do?

If you are getting an error about the key being invalid, you are mistaking at least one character or you have a misprinted key. The latter is very rare, though it can happen.

I hate the font that they use for the key - some characters are miserable to discern. J and I look all too much alike, as do O and 0.

I recommend that you use a magnifying glass to check the characters closely - I find that I need to do this. If you are still encountering a problem with activation, you have about 2 weeks to get activated, so I'd go ahead and open an email request to support, explaining the problem. See the FAQ and use the Trial user option to start the email request. If you can provide a digital image - scan or photo - of the key to the tech that responds, they can validate the key for you.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 5:48 PM