Cannot see the newly added 1TB disk in console RRS feed

• Question

•  I added a seatgate 1TB harddrive to the HP bay (this has another 500gb disk) ,but despite several attempts i don't see this new disk in the administrative console, nor the light glow in the hp box for this drive. The drive is working fine.

Can someone help to resolve this issue.

Thanks
    Vijay
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 4:13 PM

Answers

• Hi Vijay,
    if you run Windows XP or Vista, you have the Remote Desktop Client in the Start menu, usually under all Programs/System Tools(/Communications).
    To connect to the server, start the RDP client, enter the server name and use the user name Administrator and the password of the WHS console to access your desktop directly.

Although this is an unsupported use of Windows Home Server, this method to look in is sometimes the last resort to find and fix an error without having to reinstall.
    (You should not attempt to change much from here and not use WHS as desktop replacement that way.)

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, December 15, 2008 6:40 PM
  • Hi Vijay,
    you can upgrade the RAM, but it's a bit complicated.
    A guide can be found on several places in the web, like here.
    Olaf
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 12:46 PM

All replies

• Hi Vijay,
    if there is no light, did you try another drive bay already? Maybe that one has no contact by some technical defect or you did not press it deep enough in.
    If this is not the case (I am not sure, how the lights are controlled in the box, could be that the WHS console does it somehow), check this FAQ how to reinitialize a disk, which is not detected in the console, but visible in the base OS.
    Olaf
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 5:13 PM
  • You know the drive is working fine?  If it doesn't show up in the admin console (disk management I'm assuming what you mean) then windows does not even see it.
    athlon 3400, 2gb ram, 9 drives totaling about 3.5 tbs.
    Sunday, December 14, 2008 10:28 AM
  • Thanks all for your replies, the disk is rotatng in the HP Console as i can feel the vibrations.
    But the light doesnt glow and nor does the Main Windows Home Server --> Storage Area doesnt show the new disk.
    Not sure where the problem, may be a issue with the disk. I will return that.

Thanks again.
    Vijay
    Monday, December 15, 2008 12:46 AM
  • Hi Vijay,
    did you check, if the disk appears in disk management console (log in locally to the Home Server, click Start/Run and type diskmgmt.msc?
    That way you would see, if the basic OS is detecting the disk, if yes, follow the procedure in the linked FAQ above.
    (Feeling vibrations is a bad indicator in a multi disk system.)
    Olaf
    Monday, December 15, 2008 5:10 AM
  • Thanks Olaf!
    how to log in locally to the home server, because its connected to the network and there is no I/O devices connected to it.

Thanks,
    Vijay
    Monday, December 15, 2008 5:58 PM
  • Hi Vijay,
    if you run Windows XP or Vista, you have the Remote Desktop Client in the Start menu, usually under all Programs/System Tools(/Communications).
    To connect to the server, start the RDP client, enter the server name and use the user name Administrator and the password of the WHS console to access your desktop directly.

Although this is an unsupported use of Windows Home Server, this method to look in is sometimes the last resort to find and fix an error without having to reinstall.
    (You should not attempt to change much from here and not use WHS as desktop replacement that way.)

Olaf
    Monday, December 15, 2008 6:40 PM
  • Thanks Olaf!

Tried remote desktop, but as expected the disk didnt show up in disk management view. Also tried connecting the disk to other desktop.
    Didnt work there either.
    So i conclude the problem is with the disk and not with WHS.

As i gather you are an expert on WHS, can i upgrade RAM in my HP home server console?

Thanks for your help.

Vijay
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 11:28 AM
  • Hi Vijay,
    you can upgrade the RAM, but it's a bit complicated.
    A guide can be found on several places in the web, like here.
    Olaf
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 12:46 PM
  • Thanks Olaf.

Appreciate your help.

Vijay
    Saturday, December 20, 2008 2:44 AM