MapPoint 2011 Installation Problem RRS feed

• Question

• Downloaded and created the CD from Action Pack software.  After running the install, several items needed to be installed first, which I did.  Then, after starting the install again, I get the following error: 

Error 1305 Error reading from file E:\MapPoint\MSMap\MICROS_1\aPPtITLE\18.0\dATA\usaarts.mdb.  Verify that the file exists and that you can access it.

It is there (on the CD).  When I attempt to open it, it prompts for a password.  Maybe that's the problem?... the install doesn't know the password for the file?  Don't know where to go from here.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 9:58 PM

All replies

• On WIndows 7 Enterprise 64 bit with all of the latest Service Packs I also downloaded MapPoint 2011 from Action Pack on 05-22-2011.  Created the DVD.  After running the install I get:

Microsoft MapPoint 2011 Setup

Microsoft MapPoint North America 2011 requires the following

additional components.  To install the listed components now,

click OK.  If you want to stop the installation and exit Setup, click

Cancel.

The collowing components will be installed:

Microsoft .NET Framework 4

Microsoft Office Access database engine

Microsoft Visual C++ Redistrbutable Package

My choice is OK or Cancel

If I choose OK I get this error:

One of the prerequisite components failed to install.  Setup will now exit

If I choose Cancel the window closes and nothing else happens.

All three of the programs are already installed with the latest versions.

Previously I had Microsoft MapPoint 2010 installed and it worked flawlessly.  I uninstalled it, rebooted the PC,

downloaded MapPoint 2011, created the DVD and I am now stuck.

Don't know what to do either at this point.

• Proposed as answer by DimaTX Tuesday, July 10, 2012 4:48 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by DimaTX Tuesday, July 10, 2012 4:48 AM
    • Proposed as answer by DimaTX Tuesday, July 10, 2012 4:49 AM
    Monday, May 23, 2011 2:02 AM
  • On WIndows 7 Enterprise 64 bit with all of the latest Service Packs I also downloaded MapPoint 2011 from Action Pack on 05-22-2011.  Created the DVD.  After running the install I get:

Microsoft MapPoint North America 2011 requires the following

additional components.  To install the listed components now,

click OK.  If you want to stop the installation and exit Setup, click

Cancel.

The collowing components will be installed:

Microsoft .NET Framework 4

Microsoft Office Access database engine

Microsoft Visual C++ Redistrbutable Package

My choice is OK or Cancel

If I choose OK I get this error:

One of the prerequisite components failed to install.  Setup will now exit

If I choose Cancel the window closes and nothing else happens.

All three of the programs are already installed with the latest versions.

Previously I had Microsoft MapPoint 2010 installed and it worked flawlessly.  I uninstalled it, rebooted the PC,

downloaded MapPoint 2011, created the DVD and I am now stuck.

Don't know what to do either at this point.

I have done and experienced the exact same thing.

Maybe Microsoft is watching and will chime in with THE answer! :-)

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 9:59 PM
  • Update!! Success!!

I think that I have a solution to "One of the prerequisite components failed to install. Setup will now exit." when trying to install "SW_DVD5_NTRL_MapPoint_2011_W32_English_DLA_NA_Maps_X17-12847.IMG" from Microsoft Action Pack.

If you were to try and copy a DLL from your newly burned disc, created from that IMG, you would not be able to.  Instead, Windows (7 Ultimate x64 SP1, in my case) would pop up a small window indicating:

"Invalid MS-DOS function.", try again or cancel. Neither choice is of any help.  FWIW, you can copy a TXT file...

Now note that the above-mentioned download is an IMG file, but the website indicates that the file to be downloaded is an ISO file.

So, here is what you do:

1) After downloading the above IMG file, change its extension to ISO.
    2) Create a temporary folder on your desktop and extract the contents of the ISO to that new folder (WinRAR was my choice to accomplish that).
    3) Navigate, from that new folder, to MapPoint, MSMap. Launch data.msi.
    4) Done.

• Proposed as answer by xlegion Saturday, June 11, 2011 7:21 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by xlegion Saturday, June 11, 2011 7:21 PM
    • Proposed as answer by xlegion Saturday, June 11, 2011 7:21 PM
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 2:24 AM
  • Clearly Microsoft has not chimed in,  Having the same problem on newly purchased Map Point 2011.  It seems to hate SP1.  Naturally the Online support won't help because I don't have the product key for the trial version.  What an f'ing joke.
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 6:03 PM
  • Your problem ""One of the prerequisite components failed to install. Setup will now exit." is likely because MapPoint 2011 can not install with Visual C++ 2010 SP1 runtime installed - it requires the version prior to SP1.  If you uninstall the latest version you can install MapPoint but of course you lose the patches and security enhancements.  It's great that Microsoft has built a product that can't function with their own patches including C++ 2010 SP1 as well as Windows 7 SP1 - "quality programming at its very best"...

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 3:48 AM
  • Yep figured that out.  I deinstalled the SP1 and now it is installing.  Lovely work by the Microsoft Gods
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 10:08 PM
  • It is January 2011, and I just dowloaded MS Mappoint and I get the same problem.  I am not a tech corporate tech support person and do not know what I am supposed to do.  I tried to uninstall sp1,  but I think my computer already came with it on, because I cannot see anywhere it was patched. (My computer is new.)  How can this be that 6 months later there still is this problem?
    Monday, January 2, 2012 10:14 PM
  • I am having the same problem and cannot uninstall SP1. Microsoft are you listening!
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 8:13 PM
  • I found an easy, miraculous fix on another post here. Simply disable Tablet PC Input service under services in the msconfig and Mappoint 2011 installs fine.
    • Proposed as answer by TNEUS1 Friday, February 3, 2012 10:06 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by TNEUS1 Friday, February 3, 2012 10:06 PM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 9:02 PM
  • if you are using executable.  Navigate to the "MSMap" folder.  run the "data.msi" file.  This will run without looking for required components.  Installed with no issues.
    Friday, February 3, 2012 10:08 PM
  • OMG that worked at was simply elegant!!!

TNEUS1 you rock!

Monday, February 20, 2012 3:40 PM
  • I am having exactly the same problems as the original poster - tried running the data.msi file and it went through the installation process but now gives me a 'licensing error'.  I'm trying out the trial version before we decide whether or not to buy so wondering if it's to do with that.  Anyone else had similar?
    Friday, April 13, 2012 10:46 AM
  • You can got the answer from [http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/installing-streest-and-trips-visual-c-will-not/79dc8c78-3f5d-4447-a5c5-f4b1326293eb]

Running the MSI directly did not work for me, it just ended with another error. If you try this and you are still having trouble installing the Visual C++ prerequisite, my solution may work for you.

It seems that Streets and Trips 2011 will not install if the Visual Studio 2010 SP1 Redistributable Package is on the system.
    1. Through the "Uninstall a program" control panel, uninstall the Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 SP1 Redistributable Package.
    2. Install Streets and Trips 2011. Everything should work fine.
    3. Download and install the Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 SP1 Redistributable Package.

Thursday, April 19, 2012 10:43 AM
  • Excellent, thank you
    Tuesday, June 19, 2012 12:40 PM
  • If I read this earlier, I can save some time downloading, repairing, re-installing C++ Redistrbutable Package. Thank you guys!

Friday, June 29, 2012 1:41 PM
  • That worked for me!  Thank you so much!!
    Thursday, November 15, 2012 2:42 PM
  • This worked for me to get it installed but when I try to run MapPoint it gives me an error that my registry settings were not copied correctly and to run setup again to correct the problem. I can run setup over and over but it does not change the error message.

Is the MapPoint group actually a part of Microsoft? It seems they cannot get their act together on releases since MapPoint 2004. I have wasted a lot of time on MapPoint versions since them. Installation of the product should not be this difficult.

Gregory N. Brooks Intellinet Computing brooks@intellinet-computing.com

• Edited by Gregory N. Brooks Thursday, November 29, 2012 3:14 PM Incorrect signature line
    Thursday, November 29, 2012 3:11 PM
  • Thanks guys for all the helpful ideas. I had this problem too: reinstalling MapPoint 2011 after upgrading to Windows 8 (what a nightmare in general this has been - hope it will be worth it in the end) and receiving the "C++ redistributable component installation failed" error message. It seems that people have experienced different levels of difficulty in finding workarounds to this but after reading this thread the problem was solved fairly simply in my case. Following advice in an earlier post I simply uninstalled the C++ component and allowed the MapPoint installer to re-install it again. This took only moments (less time than it has taken to write this post!) and it worked like a charm for me. I also have Visual Studio 2010 and SQL Server installed amongst heavy duty applications, so my system profile is far from simple. I urge anyone reading this thread with the same problem to try this straightforward solution first before getting into anything more difficult because it might be all you need to solve the problem.
    Saturday, January 5, 2013 2:49 AM
  • Regarding the VS2010 Redistributable error, the following solution works:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproappcompat/thread/22c346f1-4fe4-4931-9d5b-6e7a1d7b2f39

Basically, unzip your MSI (or copy your disk) to a directory, and then edit the setup.ini to disable the Text-to-Speech and VS Redistributable checks.

Richard Marsden
    MapPoint Add-ins at Mapping-Tools.com

Friday, April 5, 2013 2:55 AM