Rules for setting up folders on WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Just installed WHS. Using it with a mixture of home PC's (5).  This is a great forum to get clued in on. However I have a few questions that seem obvious yet I dont see them answered here fully.

I would like to put my overpowered WHS PC to doing extra work (Intel Core Duo 2GB RAM etc).  One idea is to have it work on downloading Torrent files from the web.  Now there is a long tread on this forum describing how to setup uTorrent downloading running it as a service.  Seems like a multistep process to install.   My question is why not just run uTorrent (or BitTorrent etc) from the desktop itself? It cannot be because space would be taken up on the disk(s) for the downloaded files since the uTorrent installed as a service also takes up the same space on the disk. Why as a service? 

Related to this, what are the rules on WHS as to adding (or removing) files from the disk(s). 

For the System C: drive, can you add files and folders to the "My Documents" folder.

For the DATA (D: ) "drive", can you add files and folders to that "drive". It has the following folders:- DE, folders and shares.  Can I just creat a folder and copy (using WHS Windows explorer) files from another PC to it.

Say I want to download Torrent files with uTorrent from the desktop, could I make a folder on DATA (D: ) and just have the files downloaded to there. Any restrictions as to when or where.

I have after installing WHS, added an old IDE drive which I have not added  as strorage with the WHS console. It currently appears listed as a "Non Storage hard Drive".  When I bring up Windows Explorer it appears as "Local Disk (E: )".   Would there be any advantage in using this drive to hold Torrent downloads?  Can I regard this drive as totaly without limitations and treat it just like any other network drive.

Sorry if some of this is obvious. It's not that clear to a first time user.

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 4:57 AM

Answers

•  monahan_z wrote:

Just installed WHS. Using it with a mixture of home PC's (5).  This is a great forum to get clued in on. However I have a few questions that seem obvious yet I dont see them answered here fully.

I would like to put my overpowered WHS PC to doing extra work (Intel Core Duo 2GB RAM etc).  One idea is to have it work on downloading Torrent files from the web.  Now there is a long tread on this forum describing how to setup uTorrent downloading running it as a service.  Seems like a multistep process to install.   My question is why not just run uTorrent (or BitTorrent etc) from the desktop itself? It cannot be because space would be taken up on the disk(s) for the downloaded files since the uTorrent installed as a service also takes up the same space on the disk. Why as a service? 

Otherwise, you would have to have the administrator logged in at all times, which is not a good idea in regards to security.

monahan_z wrote:

Related to this, what are the rules on WHS as to adding (or removing) files from the disk(s).

For the System C: drive, can you add files and folders to the "My Documents" folder.

Can you?  Yes.  Should you?  No.  It's a server, not a client.

monahan_z wrote:
    For the DATA (D: ) "drive", can you add files and folders to that "drive". It has the following folders:- DE, folders and shares.  Can I just creat a folder and copy (using WHS Windows explorer) files from another PC to it.

I would advise against it.

monahan_z wrote:

Say I want to download Torrent files with uTorrent from the desktop, could I make a folder on DATA (D: ) and just have the files downloaded to there. Any restrictions as to when or where.

I would advise against this as well.

monahan_z wrote:

I have after installing WHS, added an old IDE drive which I have not added  as strorage with the WHS console. It currently appears listed as a "Non Storage hard Drive".  When I bring up Windows Explorer it appears as "Local Disk (E: )".   Would there be any advantage in using this drive to hold Torrent downloads?

Yes.  It would not be controlled by WHS.

monahan_z wrote:
    Can I regard this drive as totaly without limitations and treat it just like any other network drive.

It's not a "network drive" because it's not part of WHS.  While you could create your own shares/users/permissions on it, it will never be used by WHS in any way, shape or form because WHS is not aware of its existence.

monahan_z wrote:

To be honest, I think you're missing the point of WHS.  It's a server, not a client PC.  Nearly everything you suggested here should be done on a client.  I'm not saying you can't do it on the server, but it's really not the best way to handle it.  WHS doesn't work like other MS OSes.  As a matter of fact, if you've logged into the server desktop, you've seen the logon warning which basically says "Don't use anything you see here because you may very well mess up your WHS installation."  It's there for a reason. Smile

I would suggest you start out by read the Technical Briefs on the Windows Home Server Support Resources website.

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 5:46 AM
  • Thanks so much Kariya21 for taking the time and trouble to reply in detail. Much appreciated.

I understand the point of dedicating the WHS to just doing backups etc. but I would like to get more out of the CPU.  Since the movie Torrents I download take hours/days to download it seems to make sense putting the WHS to work at it when it is doing essentially nothing else. Rather than have two PC on continously, I can have one.

On #1. I'm not sure I really buy the extra security issue by leaving the server on with the administer logged on. I'm behind a router. Why would it be safer downloading to a client  rather than my WHS. In fact on my main client PC I have all kinds of stuff while the WHS is essentially just the operating system. Granted there are the backup files there but these need the client password to do anything with them.  

Currently I leave the Administrator desktop screen on 24/7 with the home console open to glance over from time to time to see how things are doing.  Guess you are saying I should not do that. 

Question, is it possible to setup a non-administrator/guest like account on the WHS and leave that up 24/7 and run my torrent download program from that , (and store downloads on to my non WHS drive).

One other question, I almost hate to ask, based on what you said at the end, is it possible to stop the logon warning screen you mention.  Yes I got the message but it becomes annoying every time you see it.

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 6:03 PM
  •  monahan_z wrote:
    Thanks so much Kariya21 for taking the time and trouble to reply in detail. Much appreciated.

I understand the point of dedicating the WHS to just doing backups etc. but I would like to get more out of the CPU.  Since the movie Torrents I download take hours/days to download it seems to make sense putting the WHS to work at it when it is doing essentially nothing else. Rather than have two PC on continously, I can have one.

On #1. I'm not sure I really buy the extra security issue by leaving the server on with the administer logged on. I'm behind a router. Why would it be safer downloading to a client  rather than my WHS. In fact on my main client PC I have all kinds of stuff while the WHS is essentially just the operating system. Granted there are the backup files there but these need the client password to do anything with them.  

Currently I leave the Administrator desktop screen on 24/7 with the home console open to glance over from time to time to see how things are doing.  Guess you are saying I should not do that.

I'm not saying you can't, just that it's not necessary.  Let the server maintain itself. Smile  If something goes wrong, the Console will inform you of the problem.

monahan_z wrote:
    Question, is it possible to setup a non-administrator/guest like account on the WHS and leave that up 24/7 and run my torrent download program from that , (and store downloads on to my non WHS drive).

I've never tried it, but I would guess only an account with Admin access can get access to the server desktop.  (And even if it did work, I wouldn't recommend it.)

monahan_z wrote:
    One other question, I almost hate to ask, based on what you said at the end, is it possible to stop the logon warning screen you mention.  Yes I got the message but it becomes annoying every time you see it.

Yes, it is.  But let me be clear:  accessing the server desktop to do what you want to do is completely unsupported by MS.  There are tools there that can (and if used, will) completely trash your OS, forcing you to reinstall WHS (and could also cause data loss as well).  So again:  I strongly recommend you don't do what you want to do (or, at the very least, read through all of the Technical Briefs I linked to before so you don't end up accidentally shooting yourself in the foot. Smile  )

Having said that, you can get rid of the Logon Warning screen by removing it from the Startup group in the Programs list.

Thursday, August 7, 2008 1:22 AM

All replies

•  monahan_z wrote:

Just installed WHS. Using it with a mixture of home PC's (5).  This is a great forum to get clued in on. However I have a few questions that seem obvious yet I dont see them answered here fully.

Otherwise, you would have to have the administrator logged in at all times, which is not a good idea in regards to security.

monahan_z wrote:

Can you?  Yes.  Should you?  No.  It's a server, not a client.

monahan_z wrote:

I would advise against it.

monahan_z wrote:

I would advise against this as well.

monahan_z wrote:

I have after installing WHS, added an old IDE drive which I have not added  as strorage with the WHS console. It currently appears listed as a "Non Storage hard Drive".  When I bring up Windows Explorer it appears as "Local Disk (E: )".   Would there be any advantage in using this drive to hold Torrent downloads?

Yes.  It would not be controlled by WHS.

monahan_z wrote:
    Can I regard this drive as totaly without limitations and treat it just like any other network drive.

It's not a "network drive" because it's not part of WHS.  While you could create your own shares/users/permissions on it, it will never be used by WHS in any way, shape or form because WHS is not aware of its existence.

monahan_z wrote:

To be honest, I think you're missing the point of WHS.  It's a server, not a client PC.  Nearly everything you suggested here should be done on a client.  I'm not saying you can't do it on the server, but it's really not the best way to handle it.  WHS doesn't work like other MS OSes.  As a matter of fact, if you've logged into the server desktop, you've seen the logon warning which basically says "Don't use anything you see here because you may very well mess up your WHS installation."  It's there for a reason. Smile

I would suggest you start out by read the Technical Briefs on the Windows Home Server Support Resources website.

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 5:46 AM
  • Thanks so much Kariya21 for taking the time and trouble to reply in detail. Much appreciated.

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 6:03 PM
  •  monahan_z wrote:
    Thanks so much Kariya21 for taking the time and trouble to reply in detail. Much appreciated.

I'm not saying you can't, just that it's not necessary.  Let the server maintain itself. Smile  If something goes wrong, the Console will inform you of the problem.

monahan_z wrote:

I've never tried it, but I would guess only an account with Admin access can get access to the server desktop.  (And even if it did work, I wouldn't recommend it.)

monahan_z wrote:

Yes, it is.  But let me be clear:  accessing the server desktop to do what you want to do is completely unsupported by MS.  There are tools there that can (and if used, will) completely trash your OS, forcing you to reinstall WHS (and could also cause data loss as well).  So again:  I strongly recommend you don't do what you want to do (or, at the very least, read through all of the Technical Briefs I linked to before so you don't end up accidentally shooting yourself in the foot. Smile  )

Having said that, you can get rid of the Logon Warning screen by removing it from the Startup group in the Programs list.

Thursday, August 7, 2008 1:22 AM