WHS Server Works Great But Doesn't Show in My Network Places RRS feed

• Question

• Forum Menbers:

I read all the posts on this issue, but none seemed to work.  I installed the Connector on my XP box and I can see the shared folders from the desktop ICON that is installed with the Connector... everything works... except that WHS server does not show up under My Network Places in the WORKGROUP area.  Yet, if I bring up Windows Explorer and enter a \\WHS_SERVER_NAME then it immedidately pops into the WORKGROUP in My Network Places.  It's like it doesn't automatically search for it until I type the UNC Path.  Does anyone know why it would not be automatically be added?

Thanks in advance,

Rich Locus

Sunday, April 4, 2010 8:55 PM

Answers

• I finally tracked down what it took on my system to allow the WHS server to show in My Network Places.  I had to get into Norton Internet Security, the Firewall section (Network Map), and set the WHS server to full trust.  After that, it was automatically included in My Network Places. 
    Monday, April 5, 2010 3:15 AM

All replies

• Forum Menbers:

I read all the posts on this issue, but none seemed to work.  I installed the Connector on my XP box and I can see the shared folders from the desktop ICON that is installed with the Connector... everything works... except that WHS server does not show up under My Network Places in the WORKGROUP area.  Yet, if I bring up Windows Explorer and enter a \\WHS_SERVER_NAME then it immedidately pops into the WORKGROUP in My Network Places.  It's like it doesn't automatically search for it until I type the UNC Path.  Does anyone know why it would not be automatically be added?

Thanks in advance,

Rich Locus

Probably because the server isn't in the same workgroup as the client.  However, it's not necessary because, as you can see, it works just fine without it.  :)
    Sunday, April 4, 2010 9:08 PM
  • I finally tracked down what it took on my system to allow the WHS server to show in My Network Places.  I had to get into Norton Internet Security, the Firewall section (Network Map), and set the WHS server to full trust.  After that, it was automatically included in My Network Places. 
    Monday, April 5, 2010 3:15 AM