none
Quickbooks Pro & Act! RRS feed

• Question

•  I'm looking at installing Quickbook Pro & Act! on my WHS, and was wondering if anyone else has done this, if so what are the gotchas that I need to be aware of.

I'm thinking of installing an additional hard disk on my WHS for this setup, where it is not part of the storage pool. Given that both products have SQL databases, and I don't want to have any issues with the WHS drive extender functionality.
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 8:08 AM

Answers

• retep22 said:

I'm looking at installing Quickbook Pro & Act! on my WHS, and was wondering if anyone else has done this, if so what are the gotchas that I need to be aware of.

Installing any software on the server through the desktop is unsupported.  Besides, it sounds like you are trying to use your server as a workstation (also unsupported).

retep22 said:

I'm thinking of installing an additional hard disk on my WHS for this setup, where it is not part of the storage pool. Given that both products have SQL databases, and I don't want to have any issues with the WHS drive extender functionality.

Sunday, February 15, 2009 5:23 PM
  • You could conceivably install the server components of both products on your server. As has been pointed out, this is unsupported, certainly by Microsoft and probably by the vendors for the products you're planning to install. 

If you decide to proceed, adding a drive which you keep out of the storage pool would be advisable.

If you encounter any issues, you may have to solve them more or less on your own. I would recommend a period of testing before relying on the configuration you propose.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, February 16, 2009 5:01 PM

All replies

• retep22 said:

I'm looking at installing Quickbook Pro & Act! on my WHS, and was wondering if anyone else has done this, if so what are the gotchas that I need to be aware of.

Installing any software on the server through the desktop is unsupported.  Besides, it sounds like you are trying to use your server as a workstation (also unsupported).

retep22 said:

Sunday, February 15, 2009 5:23 PM
  • You could conceivably install the server components of both products on your server. As has been pointed out, this is unsupported, certainly by Microsoft and probably by the vendors for the products you're planning to install. 

If you decide to proceed, adding a drive which you keep out of the storage pool would be advisable.

If you encounter any issues, you may have to solve them more or less on your own. I would recommend a period of testing before relying on the configuration you propose.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, February 16, 2009 5:01 PM