Server Backup: How can I backup the information on my Windows Home Server? RRS feed

• Question

• Is this FAQ still accurate?
        http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/b36cedde-fc10-4139-95cc-a37a1db9011d

The current help docs suggest that there is now a better way.  It says when I connect an external hard drive, I can tell it to use it as backup, and then I can also temporarily remove it to create an offsite backup.

I have two follow up questions -
    1. The help file says that backup does a backup of shared folders and applications.  Does it also backup the backup files for each of my computers?  I want to make sure my offsite backup is able to restore documents on my client computers.
    2. Is it possible to have two external backup hard disks?  Suppose hard disk E1 is my current backup, and I store it offsite at my bank.  I then connect E2 and have it backup my server.  When I'm ready to refresh my offsite backup, I "Temporarily remove it from my home server", unplug E2, take it to the bank, swap it with E1, then reattach E1 when I come home.  Does that work?

Backups are nice, but offsite backups are critically important, so I want to make sure I get it right.  I would like it to backup ALL my data, on all machines.  I would like to make sure doing the offsite backup doesn't jeopardize my data (if there is a fire/flood while I am creating the offsite backup).

Thanks!

• Edited by Darkhog Sunday, January 31, 2010 8:39 AM formatting
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 8:38 AM

Answers

• Follow the instructions in the help. You can use two drives as described, though I wouldn't bother with the "take it to the bank" part, just take it off-site somewhere (your brother-in-law's, your office, whatever).

As for the backup database, the server backup feature doesn't back that up, it only backs up the shares (which is pretty clear from the help files). If you want to back up your backup database, the Home Computer Backup and Restore technical brief describes a method, or you can install the Backup DataBase Backup add-in, which partially automates this process for you.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Sunday, January 31, 2010 4:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by Darkhog Monday, February 1, 2010 8:49 PM
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 1:55 PM

All replies

• Follow the instructions in the help. You can use two drives as described, though I wouldn't bother with the "take it to the bank" part, just take it off-site somewhere (your brother-in-law's, your office, whatever).

As for the backup database, the server backup feature doesn't back that up, it only backs up the shares (which is pretty clear from the help files). If you want to back up your backup database, the Home Computer Backup and Restore technical brief describes a method, or you can install the Backup DataBase Backup add-in, which partially automates this process for you.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Sunday, January 31, 2010 4:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by Darkhog Monday, February 1, 2010 8:49 PM
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 1:55 PM
  • That document is great.  It is very informative, thank you.  I find it very interesting that it is backing up clusters and not files, and I appreciate that it lists how to back up / restore the backup database.

Also if the FAQ is no longer accurate, it should be removed.  Or if so motivated, updated.  You're a moderator, so perhaps you have the power to clean up old info?
    Monday, February 1, 2010 8:48 PM