Are you surprised you have just been dropped? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi guys

I recently posted a new issue and I was surprised to see so many previous posts about sites that had suddenly been dropped.

I was not surprised to see posts regarding sites that had been dropped but how many of you think this is something new.

This problem started back last October 07 when Msn switched to Live Search, I lost 50% of my client sites overnight and last week lost my own site where I claimed 15% of my work.

They basically made their filtering system to strict that effects sites published within the last 2 and half years. Like many of you I completed the complaints form only to get the automated reply then to be passed on to someone called James. Does this sound familiar?

But one day I had an email from Live Search team admitting they had made a mistake and promised everything would be sorted by spring? If you would like to see this email leave a comment and I we gladly provide a link.

But the outset is they haven’t sorted their issues and many millions of us are still felling the mistake by Live Search just because they tried to out do the best search engine Google. It will not make a difference how much you complain until they sort out there errors which will take months you sites will just be dropped, indexed, dropped and indexed.

Regards

Andy

Saturday, May 10, 2008 10:20 PM

All replies

• Yes Andy, let's see it again...It might give everyone some hope.

My sites were also dropped Oct 07

Fish Texas.

Sunday, May 11, 2008 1:11 PM
  • Hi Fish

Here's the email where Live search promised everything would be sorted by spring?

Andy

----- Original Message -----
    To:
    Sent: Monday, February 04, 2008 3:15 PM
    Subject: SRX1057498510ID - Live SearchSurprisether

Hi, Andrew Weller

Thank you for writing to Live Search technical support.  I understand that you are writing to us because your site not showing as it once was. We understand that it is very important to you to have this issue resolved; we apologize for the inconvenience and any ramifications that this issue has caused to your site traffic.  Thank you for contacting us so we can have a chance to explain the situation and try to remedy it.

The Live Search team is in the process of modifying the algorithms we use to determine which sites are indexed by Live Search index and which sites receive a ranking so our crawlers will visit the site.  At the end of September we launched new ranking and indexing algorithms that were stricter than we anticipated, and we are now changing them to bring back many sites that were removed from our index or given a lower rank.  We apologize that it is taking so long to remedy this situation, and we are treating it very seriously.  Having high quality content is important to us and we want to make sure we get this right.

Although we cannot specifically address issues with your Website, the following blog entry from the Live Search team has some very good information about what you can do to improve your chances of being ranked well in Live Search - http://blogs.msdn.com/webmaster/archive/2008/01/11/i-m-not-ranking-in-live-search-what-can-i-do.aspx.  While these suggestions will not guarantee that your site will be ranked as high as other sites, it will make it easier for our algorithms to index and rank your site, and for our crawlers to get all the information they need.

We do not have an exact date for fixing this issue, but our plan is to have it resolved near the end of spring.  This is our number one priority and we have put all our resources into solving it and bringing a better balance to our indexing so it won't happen again.  We appreciate your patience while we resolve this issue, and hope you understand that at this time there is nothing we can do to modify or improve your site's index or ranking.

Best regards,

<agent>

Sunday, May 11, 2008 5:53 PM
  • Guess I can now join the club too!

Admittedly my site only has 9 pages at the moment however in 3 weeks of adding a new page on Google I am up in the top ten for a number of my keywords.

I only ever managed to show 1 page as indexed on MSN (but with a random date prior to the site even going live)

Having given up on MSN I now only check on an infrequent basis - oh look no data! all gone!

Sunday, May 18, 2008 9:41 PM
  • Hi Jim

Yes the one page thing is all that we share.

I would like to say well Live search can stuff it they made a bad mistake and they will pay for it in the long run but just before they dropped my main site I was turning over about 4k per month just from live search. 2 days before I was dropped I was contracted to do a large e-com site worth 2.5k so you can see live search might only hold 5% on the search engine rankings but that 5% goes a long way

We can only hope that they will sort their errors and we can all get on with are jobs instead of posting complaints hoping that someone we do something about it.

Andy

Sunday, May 18, 2008 10:35 PM
  • Take heart...lost my site Oct 07... last week my pages started to come up again in the serps...

Fish Texas

Monday, May 19, 2008 12:03 PM
  • So your saying it took from Oct 07 to last week thats bad.

I've had other sites go down but the longest period was 6 weeks, I can see why you started another site?

Andy

Monday, May 19, 2008 12:10 PM