none
Tips on Studying 70-740 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

I'm hopefully somebody out there can help me. I'll give you a little background to me. I have always had a passion for IT and working in the career as IT contractor for just under 10 years. I like to say I'm self taught as I do not have any previous MS certifications, I always got to learn on the job and it has helped me gain knowledge of being a Desktop/2nd Line engineer. 

I am looking to obtain my first certification as MCSA Server 2016 but I struggle when it comes to studying, I get bored easily when I watch online course videos because I'm not physically doing anything apart from watching the screen. I have access to a lab as part of my course but I get bored with that too because I'm just following tasks with no main objective. I have started building a lab at home for Server 2016 and using Hyper V but I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing with it. All I have at home is a super fast broadband connection and fairly decent PC and Laptop. 

If there is anybody out there who is able to give me some good tips on how to study for the course then that would be extremely helpful as I want to obtain this certification as soon as possible. 

Study materials as an online learning video (VERY BORING) 

70-740 Exam Ref book...the official MS book. 

Access to Technet, 

Downloaded a PP presentation on CErt exam ref from MS Ignite. 

Help me please. 

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 4:08 PM

Answers

• Hi James, 

I suggest you start out with how to setup the Hyper-V role on your laptop, how to allocate vCPU, RAM etc.

From there, get a trial copy of Server 2016 Data Center edition, install it from the ISO and perform the tasks in the course. Play with it, break it, fix it, figure out how to perform those tasks and most importantly the concepts behind them. Some things you simply can't do, others you can get simulators for. For example the 70-710 has a lot on storage so you may need a storage simulator like SimSANs unless you have a SAN under your bed :)

The exams are there to make sure you understand the basic concepts of the software and their benefits. 

Monday, November 13, 2017 4:28 AM

All replies

• Hi James, 

I suggest you start out with how to setup the Hyper-V role on your laptop, how to allocate vCPU, RAM etc.

From there, get a trial copy of Server 2016 Data Center edition, install it from the ISO and perform the tasks in the course. Play with it, break it, fix it, figure out how to perform those tasks and most importantly the concepts behind them. Some things you simply can't do, others you can get simulators for. For example the 70-710 has a lot on storage so you may need a storage simulator like SimSANs unless you have a SAN under your bed :)

The exams are there to make sure you understand the basic concepts of the software and their benefits. 

Monday, November 13, 2017 4:28 AM
  • TestsChamp is offering services to make you Microsoft 70-740 certified with 100% success and money-back guarantee. The Microsoft 70-740 exam preparation material is available in two easy formats, PDF and Practice exam software. For More Details: https://www.testschamp.com/70-740.html
    Monday, December 23, 2019 10:20 AM